The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oscillaotr quality factor (Read 3508 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
oscillaotr quality factor
Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:51pm

hi , i have  question regarding oscillator
1.generally Quality factor indicates slope of the phase response. ie Q=w*0.5*(dΦ/dw).can any body please explain intuitively this proportionality relation.more over i  derived this relation  for 2nd order.so does  it applicable for other orders also,if so how to explain.
Thank you

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: oscillaotr quality factor
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:21am

1.) The quality factor you have mentioned is defined with respect to the parasitic phase shift introducd by the amplifier - for example plus two degrees.
In this case the oscillating frequency is shifted until the passive network introduces minus two degrees in order to fulfill the oscillation condition.
When the phase slope is large the amplifier phase shift effect causes only a small frequency shift.
This explains the proportionality between the phase slope and the definition of the so called "quality factor".
2.) However, this quality factor applies ONLY to oscillators which consist of frequency selective networks and an amplifier (two-port oscillators); thus, it applies NOT for negative resistance oscillators as well as integrator loops.
3.) Therefore, this factor has only a limited value and cannot be used to compare two-port oscillators with other types like neg. R or integrator type oscillators.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:41am

hi buddypoor,
                   thanks for your ans.but i didn't get why Q will applicable for only two port and why not -ve resistance oscillator. I think we can treat every oscillator as -ve resistance or you can treat amp with frequency selective network EX colpits. can u tell me this one.
Another question is there any chance of getting -ve Q?

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:21am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:41am:
hi buddypoor,
                   thanks for your ans.but i didn't get why Q will applicable for only two port and why not -ve resistance oscillator. I think we can treat every oscillator as -ve resistance or you can treat amp with frequency selective network EX colpits. can u tell me this one.
Another question is there any chance of getting -ve Q?

1.) OK, letīs formulate it with other words: If you speak about phase slope - what do you mean ? Phase slope of which unit ? It only makes sense if you can devide the oscillator in two parts: one frequency selective part (with a phase slope) and another part which is desired to deliver constant gain (ideal amplifier). Where and how could you measure phase slope of an one-port oscillator ?
2.) What do you mean with -ve Q ???

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2008, 9:51pm

hi buddypoor,
                       Thanks  for your reply.Does quality factor discussion is valid for all systems or  only second order systems?

Thank you.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.