The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:48pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rapid measurement of junction reverse leakage currents (Read 3655 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

rapid measurement of junction reverse leakage currents
Oct 23rd, 2008, 1:18am

Hi,

Is there a good method to measure the reverse leakage current of a junction diode. Ideally, I want a method which can give relatively quick results. Here are a couple of things I have in mind:

1. Make a test diode as large as possible on chip.

2. Try to do the tests at as high a temperature as reasonable.

3. Use a method with a small capacitor connected to the diode and taking up the leaking current to generate a ramp voltage. This voltage can be buffered and brought out to be measured instead of trying to directly measure leakage which would be sensitive to various other errors. The slope of the ramp gives the value of the leakage current.

Typically, one cannot get the diode to be large enough as to have more than 1 nA or so of reverse leakage current. In order to limit the test time (the idea is to finally use a method in automated part testing) to a reasonable duration (few milliseconds), the size of the diode needed would be collosal.

Any method which might work that give information about the leakage current relatively fast and with simple small structures? I am trying to see if I can get information on reverse leakage by looking at the forward I-V characteristics of the diode. Atleast as per the textbook diode equation, this should be possible. The problems might be due to other effects coming into play, and also the risk of causing latchup somewhere if I put a junction diode into forward conduction mode.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: rapid measurement of junction reverse leakage currents
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2008, 7:18pm

Hi Vivek,

Measuring the leakage current at high temperature would ease and speed up your measurmentes without requiring significant area costs.
Although the leakage current levels will depend on the particular parameters of the process you are working with, I estimate you could easily get a few nanoamps just considering either a bipolar emitter-base junction or a drain-body junction for  - say - W=10u measured at  T=150C.
I use to design for such high temperatures and the leakage currents grow exponentianlly into the nanoamp range above about 100C.

So definitely if reaching those tempeartures for characterizing your leakage current is possible then just by means of a picoampmeter you should be all set.

If measuring at those temps is not an option and you have to do it at room temp I would try your third option with a small cap (a very large cap - say 50pf -  might have an oxide leakage in the order of the few picoamps which might introduce some error in your measurement). You could control the diode anode voltage in such a way that you can charge the cap and bring it to a high reference voltage. Then take such anode down to ground such that it is reverse biased and leaks current from the cap. You could either measure the ramp at the cap node (with a buffer as you suggested)  or put a very simple comparator with some controlled hysteresis in such a way that when that hysteresis is overcome then the comparator trips and you only have to compute the time it took to trip in order to get the acutal slope (and therefore the leakage current).

Hope this helsp
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.