The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 2:15am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
constant gm bias goes unstable after modification (Read 18235 times)
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: constant gm bias goes unstable after modification
Reply #15 - Nov 06th, 2008, 2:46pm

I agree with you buddypoor.
In this particular case however, I think the overall stability could be evaluated by breaking the loop at the node that both loops share. This is a special case when a multi-loop system could be analyzed as a single loop one (the usual way)

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #16 - Nov 6th, 2008, 2:57pm

buddypoor wrote on Nov 6th, 2008, 2:08pm:
I like to remind you on the Nyquist stability criterion in its most general form. This criterion allows us to prove the stability of a closed loop system also in case that the open loop is unstable (i. e. it has poles with a positive real part).  There are a lot of examples that closing one specific loop can stabilize another loop which is unstable.
Regards

You are quite right.  In fact I have designed such a system before, but it had slipped out of my mind.  In that circuit, I had two feedback paths, one positive and one negative.  I did run stability on both loops since I needed to verify that the negative path always had greater loop gain.  Otherwise the positive feedback would become dominant, and I would have an oscillator.

I still think that it would be informative to run the three stability analyzes, though.  Even though all are negative feedback, if one is flirting with instability, you should see it.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #17 - Nov 6th, 2008, 11:00pm

HdrChopper wrote on Nov 6th, 2008, 2:46pm:
I agree with you buddypoor.
In this particular case however, I think the overall stability could be evaluated by breaking the loop at the node that both loops share. This is a special case when a multi-loop system could be analyzed as a single loop one (the usual way)
Regards
Tosei

Yes, Tosei, thatīs correct.
A simple example is an opamp with positive and negative feedback (of course, the neg. feedback must dominate). In that special case the positive loop simply reduces the negative loop gain and, therefore, both loops must be broken at the same time.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2008, 1:02am

I agree with both of you. If all loops can be broken at a single path, one should examine the circuit like this. The general criterion for stability of multi-loop circuits is rather complex, see http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1217822985.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.