The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 2:14am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DC output level of variable gain amplifier (Read 2440 times)
aamar
Community Member

Germany
DC output level of variable gain amplifier
Nov 11th, 2008, 1:43am

Hallo,

I am building a variable gain amplifier using a simple OTA (5 MOSFETS) with a current mirror load. The gm of the OTA is changed by changing the bias current of the OTA. It is working fine (gain varies) but the problem is that the output DC point of the amplifier changes with the bias current. My question is how can I correct the output DC level and make it independent from the bias current? I tried a CMFB circuit to bias the load transistors but It doesn't correct the problem?

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: DC output level of variable gain amplifier
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2008, 12:31pm

Aamar,

I'm not sure this is a good topology for building a VGA. At least, your tuning range would be narrow and it would not be power efficient to tune the gain through adjusting drain current.

In any case, you need to have CMFB to define the output CM of your circuit, otherwise the following stage will not be biased properly.

Regards
Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008, 12:20am

Dear Paul,

The tuning range is about 100mV in my case, do you consider it narrow or it would be enough?, I am using a 3.3V supply. I am still using an ideal source for the gain control voltage, but later I have to generate this signal in the design.

Do you think generating such a signal will be difficult? It is an optical receiver and this VGA would be next to the TIA and will be followed by a next stage of post amplifier.

If you can suggest me any reference for other topologies I would be thankful also.

Thanks and best regards,

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2008, 12:30pm

Not sure to fully get the description (100mV range? I thought you were looking for gain tuning range...). Could you add a schematic to your next post?

Depending on your specs in optical comms, a limiting amplifier may be good enough without gain tuning. If not, the red journal is full of optical comms papers. In particular, check IEEExplore for the December/January edition of JSSC, which has the extended ISSCC papers.

Regards
Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.