The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 2:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Local Oscillator Buffer Design (Read 2348 times)
Hendy06

USA
Local Oscillator Buffer Design
Nov 11th, 2008, 9:36pm

I need to design an LO buffer that drives a double balanced mixer, but i'm not sure what the structure of the oscillator will look like.  I understand that the LO will be fixed at a specific frequency, so is it ok to use a VCO type structure to create the oscillator?  Or can i just use a pulse generator to produce the LO signal?  Would anyone be able to point me to references that might inspire me?

View Profile   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Re: Local Oscillator Buffer Design
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2008, 11:27am

Hi. Can you give some more details about the problem. Are you also designing the oscillator or just the buffer? Do you  get from the oscillator a differential signal? Will you have to drive rail to rail into the mixer?

View Profile   IP Logged
Hendy06

USA
Re: Local Oscillator Buffer Design
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 1:46pm

Only the buffer needs to be designed.  The LO buffer needs to drive the mixer with a differential signal and the assumption will be that the input to the buffer will be driven by differential signals from the VCO.  The LO signal will be 300mVpp (1.8V supply).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.