The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what's best type of regulator to get fastest response with low supply? (Read 2493 times)
Benjamin

what's best type of regulator to get fastest response with low supply?
Nov 11th, 2008, 9:41pm

I am wanting to find the fastest response regulator for a low supply level. Specifically I would like as fast as possible response with w.c. supply of 1.35V, when the output voltage is target at 1.3V.

So what's the fastest option for such small headroom.
If necessary perhaps I could take the current efficiency hit and use a pumped voltage for the diffAmp supply voltage, but not the output driver.

Any suggestion appreciated?
Thanks, Benjamin

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: what's best type of regulator to get fastest response with low supply?
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008, 1:00am

I don't really see the purpose of having a regulator with only 50mV drop. However, I think that this might be difficult to realize with a traditional LDO circuit.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008, 1:08am

hi,
   whats your load current in transients?i think for any load its impossible with the existing topologies,if you try to realize with current  topologies,may be u  can do in fast corner,across all corners its very difficult. By the way where u want this much tight spec regulator?
Regards,
rajasekhar

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2008, 4:58am

Benjamin wrote on Nov 11th, 2008, 9:41pm:
I am wanting to find the fastest response regulator for a low supply level. Specifically I would like as fast as possible response with w.c. supply of 1.35V, when the output voltage is target at 1.3V.

So what's the fastest option for such small headroom.
If necessary perhaps I could take the current efficiency hit and use a pumped voltage for the diffAmp supply voltage, but not the output driver.

Any suggestion appreciated?
Thanks, Benjamin

Hi,

You can use the textbook LDO scheme. Everything runs on low voltage supplies, and you pump the gate of the output driver which is an NMOS. This has very fast response since it acts like a source follower. Obviously, it is better if you have a triple-well technology that you can tie source-bulk of this NMOS.

The 50 mV drop might be a bit of an issue, especially if you also need high-temperature operation. But give it a try.

I guess you are using an LDO to tame a widely varying supply.

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.