The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 29th, 2024, 4:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE opamp high frequency noise rejection (Read 6269 times)
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

SE opamp high frequency noise rejection
Nov 12th, 2008, 9:34am

Hi all,

I'm looking into improving the immunity to high frequency noise in the power supply and common mode lines of a single ended opamps used as voltage buffers.

In my application I cannot avoid using single ended opamps since these amplifiers are generally looking into voltage references that are proportional to the supply voltage (thus SE). Therefore any noise present at the supply line will be directly injected into the amplifier's common mode and and coupled to the output according to its PSRR.
However my problem is not getting such HF noise at the amps output pin (which could be relatively easily filtered) but instead getting that HF noise folded back down to DC. In other words such HF noise showing up as a DC shift at the opamp's output.
(If I could use differential topologies performance would be much better, but unfortunately I cannot)

Does anybody knows of good references covering this topic or well-known techniques for reducing such effect?

Any comments or feedback is welcome.

Thahks
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Re: SE opamp high frequency noise rejection
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2008, 6:33am

Are you concerned about noise folding in later stages?  Obviously, at really high frequency, you are talking about the direct transmission through all of your parasitic caps.  Since the active elements have all lost their gains by then, you have to resort to capacitor tricks.  What architecture are you using?

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2008, 5:41pm

Hi Tlaloc,

Thanks for your answer and yes, I´m mainly concerned about any folding of HF noise back to basedband simply due to the opamp topology. As far as I know even for a perfectly balance amplifier (no offset), HF CM noise might end up being demodulated (not sure exactly how, but simulations show such behavior) down to basedband and ultimately causing DC shifts at the output, which is what is hurting me. I´m basically talking about noise frequency ranging from say 10-300MHz

For analyzing this problem 'm just concentrating on a simple 2-stage Miller stabilized opamp (PMOS input diff pair) used as a buffer.

I know parasitics will go through directly to the output at such high frequencies especially when considering PSRR. But that does not necessarily create output DC shifts, at least from what I could observe so far.

I guess I should play with some capacitor tricks here but not sure where to start from....

Any clues are welcome!

Thanks
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2008, 11:19pm

Hi Tosei,

In addition to choosing a better opamp architecture, there is also the possibility of reducing HF noise on the supply. I think you are not really talking about noise but interferers at HF.

Have you considered using some EMI-reduction schemes on the supply? Depending on the amount of current drawn, you may be able to get away with some small R and large C to filter out the HF noise from supply. An LDO may also help significantly in curbing HF noise.

Depending on the exact requirements on your system, this may be less painful than making an opamp that can reject the HF noise.

As for the common mode (in this case it is the signal if you have SE amps), you need to give some thought to schemes which are inherently filtering. I gather that you are buffering some DC levels. In that case, filtering the input to the amp is a highly effective way to remove HF noise.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2008, 3:56am

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your answer. You are right: I'm actually talking more about Hf interference rather than noise.
And yes I first thought of introducing some kind of filtering means on the supply line: the problem I foresee with the LDO is the limited PSRR at such frequencies for which usually the loop gain dropped enough so the immunity to supply variations is not very good. Simpler RC filters might be a way out depending on the area limitations. Anyway I'm not totally sure how much of the power supply noise will get folded back to DC and how much will be linearly transferred to the output (the later can be further filtered at such node).

Concerning the CM issue, again filtering might be an option too and again depends on the amount of available area. I was thinking more a compensation scheme you might know of for rejecting HF interferences rather than the"brute force" solution (but effective though) of filtering the input frequencies.

Also, what is in your opinion a good topology for achieving high PSRR/CMRR for an SE amplifier?

Many thanks & Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2008, 11:17am

This seems an interesting topic.
It is not clear for me what is the mechanisms that causes folding of HF into DC.  Is this being used in an ADC?
Or is your application a demodulator?

Cheers,
Humberto

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2008, 2:31am

Hi Humberto,

As far as I know, the folding process is due to the common mode interference modulating the bias current of the diff input pair. That combined with the a differential interference generates folding at DC.
My application is simple: just buffering of dc voltages exposed to HF interference, which I do not want to get folded back to DC.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2008, 12:59am

HdrChopper wrote on Nov 17th, 2008, 2:31am:
Hi Humberto,

As far as I know, the folding process is due to the common mode interference modulating the bias current of the diff input pair. That combined with the a differential interference generates folding at DC.
My application is simple: just buffering of dc voltages exposed to HF interference, which I do not want to get folded back to DC.

Regards
Tosei

Hi Tosei,

In this case, I would advise even more strongly that you consider input filtering to eliminate HF interference. Supply filering should also help a lot. Usually, LDOs will provide atleast 1 level of supply rejection even at HF, depending on realization, which may not be sufficient by itself but could be supplemented with other things.

You will need to spend more area and maybe power if you want to get rid of HF noise. For filtering the input, you don't have to worry about I*R drop in the R but you also don't want more noise. So, you will be forced to use a large C and a moderate R. For filtering the supply, you have I*R drop to consider, and so you will have to use a small R and a large C. These are passive design tricks which you call "brute-force".

There are several active design tricks but I doubt if any will work at really high frequencies, because any active circuitry which has to filter out or suppress the HF noise will need large current to have high enough BW, and will itself be subject to the effect you are trying to suppress (demodulation).

Layout is critical for all approaches.

For the opamp, I would use a non-Miller structure for better PSRR, especially if there is noise at both VDD and GND. The Ahuja structure is your best bet (B. K. Ahuja, JSSC, Dec. '83 I think).

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2008, 4:43am

Hi vivek,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Tareeq

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2008, 1:40pm

Hi Tosei,

1/ Yes: The miller compensation is not famous for its PSRR, try cascode compensation. Therefore you would need cascode below your pmos input pair to implement that.
PSRR performance increases according to the square root of the gbandwidth product, it is worth trying I guess..
I ve implemented such kind of cascode compensation you can ask me for further detail if required.

( I assume you already know this: 2/ for Pmos input pair,  using more cascode layer to bias your input pair this will improve PSRR as well )

3/ You can try to use an automatic offset correction circuit where the output of your amplifier goes into very low bandwidth low pass filter (where the resistance is the Rds of transitor bias in saturation+ couple of pico farad caps) that basically extract the DC component then difference in voltage with respect to a desire common mode voltage is translated into current into the differential pair...

Have a nice night.

Tareeq.

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2008, 11:03pm by Tareeq »  
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2008, 4:57pm

Hi Tareeq,

Thanks for your suggestions.
I know Miller compensation is not the best choice for getting good PSSR. I simply chose that topology to study the effect of HF interferences on DC shifts I might get at the output. Certainly I will have to implement something different to get a better PSRR as you suggested.

The idea of using automatic offset correction could be a good one if it is intended to balance as much as possible the amplifier (I guess that was the intention behind your suggestion).  Nevertheless, as I described a few posts ago, even for a perfect balanced amplifier HF interference on the CM will get demodulated back to the baseband and will show up as an output DC component. So I think I should primarily focus on getting a more robust topology rather than compensating the amplifier offset (although I do not discard implementing this as a second improvement).

To Vivek:
I´m now more convinced of using an LDO to further isolate the HF noise from the opamp supply voltage. I will certainly have to consider the price of implementing such regulator versus the extra PSRR I´m buying with it at the tens of MHz range, but it looks it might be worth trying.

Thanks both for your suggestions again.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.