The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ESD protection (Read 11578 times)
jeffyan
Community Member

ESD protection
Jan 10th, 2009, 3:54am

hi all,
i have an ESD issue:
if i use AC-coupled output with MIM cap on chip, how can i do ESD protection,
here the MIM cap is driven by a inverter, moreover, the speed is very high.
please give me some information if you know.
thanks,
jeff

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: ESD protection
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2009, 7:31am

Jeff,

I am not very clear what do you desire. A standard I/O from a big foundry or a IP vendor is enough to protect the circuitry from destroying by electric static discharge, like HMB model and MM model. It has nothing to do with a MIM cap or a transistor gate tied to the I/O.

You'd better choose the I/O's with very small parasitic cap if you have concerns on the speed or signal integrity. Now that the MIM cap is for AC-coupling, the maximum allowable parasitic cap on I/O and PCB depends on the value of the MIM.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2009, 7:34am

Hi Jeff,
If I understand you, your concern is that by connecting a MIM cap directly to the pad, you are violating a classic ESD rule in which no gate oxides should be directly connected to a pad, but rather should be somewhat isolated by a secondary resistor and secondary ESD clamps (some people refer to this as a "CDM resistor" or "CDM protection", since it was first proposed by Maloney as a form of protecting gate oxides from CDM failures.)

So what to do with the MIM, do you need the secondary protection?

The answer is convoluted....it depends on your process and the type of MIM your using.  Some MIMs have a very nice, thick and robust nitride layer, and can tolerate overvoltage stresses of 15-25V...in these case you may probably get away without using secondary protection, and thus keep up your performance by avoiding series resistance.  If you do this, I still strongly recommend secondary ESD clamps on the back side of your MIM.

If your MIM is actually a very high performance, thin insulator, you may need to consider treating it as a gate-oxide and protect it as such...yes the resistance will hurt you, and you will need to tune the resistance to both meet the manufacturing needs of ESD and the performance needs of your product.

In the end, you will need to know your process, and it reliability windows, as well as what your product can allow.  I have many times used the robustness of a MIM cap as my ESD isolation, and its worked great, but in other processes, my MIM was nearly as delicate as my oxides and it was out of the question.

One way around this is if you can substitute a MOM cap (metal finger/overlap cap) for your MIM in this particular application.  Such a cap would be plenty robust to not worry about ESD.  But I do not know how big your cap needs to be and and so forth, but its something to consider.

I am assuming of course that you are using reasonable primary ESD protection, either provided for by the foundary or by some third party.

If I misunderstood your concern please let me know.
Stephen

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jeffyan
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2009, 10:45pm

Hi,
thanks Stephen. my commets wrote inside.

SRF Tech wrote on Jan 13th, 2009, 7:34am:
Hi Jeff,
If I understand you, your concern is that by connecting a MIM cap directly to the pad, you are violating a classic ESD rule in which no gate oxides should be directly connected to a pad, but rather should be somewhat isolated by a secondary resistor and secondary ESD clamps (some people refer to this as a "CDM resistor" or "CDM protection", since it was first proposed by Maloney as a form of protecting gate oxides from CDM failures.)

So what to do with the MIM, do you need the secondary protection?

some ESD experts suggest me to use a 50ohm resistor connected in series with the MIM cap.  

The answer is convoluted....it depends on your process and the type of MIM your using.  Some MIMs have a very nice, thick and robust nitride layer, and can tolerate overvoltage stresses of 15-25V...in these case you may probably get away without using secondary protection, and thus keep up your performance by avoiding series resistance.  If you do this, I still strongly recommend secondary ESD clamps on the back side of your MIM.

ESD clamp? you mean to add off-nmos and off-pmos on the other node of MIM cap?  

TSMC .18 provide a relatively thick MIM cap, about 372A, whose break-down voltage is about 15-25v or higher as you mentioned, i think.

If your MIM is actually a very high performance, thin insulator, you may need to consider treating it as a gate-oxide and protect it as such...yes the resistance will hurt you, and you will need to tune the resistance to both meet the manufacturing needs of ESD and the performance needs of your product.

In the end, you will need to know your process, and it reliability windows, as well as what your product can allow.  I have many times used the robustness of a MIM cap as my ESD isolation, and its worked great, but in other processes, my MIM was nearly as delicate as my oxides and it was out of the question.

One way around this is if you can substitute a MOM cap (metal finger/overlap cap) for your MIM in this particular application.  Such a cap would be plenty robust to not worry about ESD.  But I do not know how big your cap needs to be and and so forth, but its something to consider.

yes, MOM has low capacitance density, meanwhile our process doesn't provid its modeling either.

I am assuming of course that you are using reasonable primary ESD protection, either provided for by the foundary or by some third party.

yes, we have another SCR on the PAD, but very small for high speed.

If I misunderstood your concern please let me know.
Stephen

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2009, 9:45am

Hi Jeff,
 OK, so I am very familiar with the MIM in TSMC's 0.18 process.  I myself have gotten away with using the MIM as the ESD isolation impedance, no resistor necessary.  It is a robust MIM.

(For future reference, isolation resistance can be anywhere from 10 ohms to 400 ohms to be effective; 50 ohms, 200 and 400 are the most common choice.  Below 50 you run risks but those risk are manageable in certain cases.)

That being said, I am concerned that you are using snapback based devices for this process (are you using TSMC's RF LVTSCR or some third party device?).  The dual diodes work really well and in many cases can provide not only comparative capacitance loading, but their capacitance is quite linear over large signal swings, the SCR approach is not.  This is just a comment.  If your using TSMC LVTSCR with the MIM, you should still be good.....beware I am making an off the cuff judgment here....you will want to do your own due diligence and dot your T's and cross your I's.  Make sure that SCR will trigger and clamp at voltages levels tolerable by the MIM.

By secondary protection, yes I meant either small secondary dual diodes, or secondary snapback devices; or as you stated it, additional off-nmos and off-pmos.

Good Luck Jeff!
-Stephen

www.srftechnologies.com
jeffyan
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2009, 6:03pm

SRF Tech wrote on Jan 14th, 2009, 9:45am:
Hi Jeff,
 OK, so I am very familiar with the MIM in TSMC's 0.18 process.  I myself have gotten away with using the MIM as the ESD isolation impedance, no resistor necessary.  It is a robust MIM.

(For future reference, isolation resistance can be anywhere from 10 ohms to 400 ohms to be effective; 50 ohms, 200 and 400 are the most common choice.  Below 50 you run risks but those risk are manageable in certain cases.)

That being said, I am concerned that you are using snapback based devices for this process (are you using TSMC's RF LVTSCR or some third party device?).  The dual diodes work really well and in many cases can provide not only comparative capacitance loading, but their capacitance is quite linear over large signal swings, the SCR approach is not.  This is just a comment.  If your using TSMC LVTSCR with the MIM, you should still be good.....beware I am making an off the cuff judgment here....you will want to do your own due diligence and dot your T's and cross your I's.  Make sure that SCR will trigger and clamp at voltages levels tolerable by the MIM.

By secondary protection, yes I meant either small secondary dual diodes, or secondary snapback devices; or as you stated it, additional off-nmos and off-pmos.

Good Luck Jeff!
-Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Thanks so much for your help.
can i make sure of what you want to convey.
you mean in your experience, there is no need to add 50ohm resistor with MIM ?
yes, LVTSCR provide excellent ESD protection, but its design is very tricky.  Can TSMC provide this device?

Jeff.

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2009, 9:09pm

Hi Jeff,
First off this is my opinion from experience, and it will validate your study of the use of the MIM without a series resistor, but you must be responsible for your circuit as my long distance opinion is very general, and I have not studied your circuit.
That being said, yes, with this particular MIM, I would say you'll be fine without the series resistance, but do make sure that you put ESD protection on both sides of the MIM, preferably clamped to the same PWR/GND as your primary ESD devices.

Remember the series resistance is really to help protect sensitive gate oxides against CDM like events.

TSMC does have a reasonably functional LVTSRC in this process.  You should ask your foundry rep about it if you do not have it.  I strongly discourage most people against designing their own SCR's.  

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2009, 10:32pm by SRF Tech »  

www.srftechnologies.com
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2009, 5:48pm

Consider doing the cost area study and propose putting the capacitor outside the chip. Sometimes its more cost effective if the C takes up a lot of area. Then yiu can use a conventional drive and ESD setup.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.