The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ideal hardware configuration for a small academic design group using Cadence (Read 3105 times)
Murat H. Eskiyerli
Ex Member

Ideal hardware configuration for a small academic design group using Cadence
Apr 13th, 2009, 1:58pm

I was asked by a professor here about the ideal hardware configuration for an academic group with maybe five students working together at any time. As they have an academic licence, the number of licences are not much of a problem. However, they would like to know how they should configure their system. Which processor, how much memory, how much disk space, etc? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Ideal hardware configuration for a small academic design group using Cadence
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009, 11:41pm

Hi Murat,

First of all, I assume that the various students will have their own workstations. In that case, I would recommend the following mix which I have found to work fine:

Workstation with some Linux version on it
Processor: AMD Opteron (dualcore)
RAM: >= 4 GB
HD: This is really not an issue since most PCs or workstations come with several 100 GB HDD.

Again, there may be people that may complain that all this is too little. I think that hardware is so cheap nowadays that you can afford to buy something a little older than the latest model for practically nothing.

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.