The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dynamic dac measurements (Read 4027 times)
jdac_18

Dynamic dac measurements
Apr 23rd, 2009, 4:09am

I am testing a 10-bit segmented current steering dac, 4-binary, 6-thermometer.  I have tested the Static parameters and get an INL of 0.5LSB and DNL 0.4LSB with no filter.  Now I am testing the Dynamic parameters, and it seems pretty bad.  The initial specs were for the dac to sample at 800Msps up to about 1/2 the nyquist.  At 800Msps with a 10Mhz input sine, I can only an SFDR of 33dB. At higher input frequencies the SFDR goes down to below 10dB.  I also checked the output on an oscillascope and starting from about 50Mhz the output is not a good sine wave, and by 200 it resembles a pulse.  10Mhz sine has quite a bit of glitch.  Below is the screen shot.

Could it be a clock problem?  Jitter, crosstalk?
Or a design flaw.

Equipment:
Agilent PPG
Osc
voltage generator

tek00000.png
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Dynamic dac measurements
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2009, 9:42pm

It looks like the design has some flaw. But what do you use to measure the dynamic performance?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.