The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:10am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High-Pass Filter bandwidth Consideration for 8b/10b coding (Read 914 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

High-Pass Filter bandwidth Consideration for 8b/10b coding
May 13th, 2009, 8:33pm

How we calculate the necessary HPF bandwidth for a 1Gb/s 8b10b coded NRZ bit stream?

I think in some spec it is defined as 75nF and 50ohm. What's the theory behind this number?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: High-Pass Filter bandwidth Consideration for 8b/10b coding
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2009, 11:07am

whats the spectral content of 8b/10b at a particular data rate?

Might want to look at that in the frequency domain and my guess is that the answer will fall out of that.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2009, 9:06pm

Is there a pre-able or some training waveform?

The data rate x # of training bits will set your HPF settling requirement, relative to your Comparator / ADC resolution.

:)
Wave

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2009, 2:41am

Hi neoflash?

I guess what you need is AC couple between the transmitter and receiver. What Jerry said was correct. You must look at the spectral of the bit stream.

8b10b coding is used to scramble the bit stream in order to avoid consecutive 1's or 0's longer than 5 bit. I don't remember very clear, perhaps 4 bit. But the detailed length of 0's or 1's is not important. As well known, long length of consecutive 0's or 1's deteriorate the inter symbol interference (ISI). It is one kind of deterministic jitter in serial data communication. So the 8b10 coded bit stream does not have low-frequency spectral. Probable that is the theory what you want to know.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2009, 1:01am

I did not remember it exactly but I guess the lower corner is 1/8 of the brutto baudrate. The design approach is to limit the DC-wander. So each of the 256 codes have a specific DC content. You can interprete the high pass filter as a integrator as feedback element. So a long sequence of symbols which have the highest number of ones or zeros change the DC-value of the feedback integrator. The DC-value reduce the useable eye-size. So independend of the integrator value a long sequence of the critical symbol will set the limit.

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2009, 2:23pm

DC wander is something I'm worrying about.

One question is that 8B10B coding is defined as DC balanced. However, it is hard to define the low end of spectrual content.

By the way, what is the definition of brutto baud rate?

rf-design wrote on Jul 11th, 2009, 1:01am:
I did not remember it exactly but I guess the lower corner is 1/8 of the brutto baudrate. The design approach is to limit the DC-wander. So each of the 256 codes have a specific DC content. You can interprete the high pass filter as a integrator as feedback element. So a long sequence of symbols which have the highest number of ones or zeros change the DC-value of the feedback integrator. The DC-value reduce the useable eye-size. So independend of the integrator value a long sequence of the critical symbol will set the limit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.