The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:47am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IIR-Filter with MATLAB fdatool and HDL Toolbox (Read 5787 times)
Jan Henning Mueller

Aachen, Germany
IIR-Filter with MATLAB fdatool and HDL Toolbox
Jun 04th, 2009, 2:15am

Hello,

I created with MATLAB fdatool of the Signal Processing Toolbox an audio IIR filter. In Matlab, the filter works great.

Then I tried to manually build the IIR filter in VHDL and I tried to build it using the MATLAB integrated HDL Toolbox.
In both cases a simulation with Modelsim didn't work, I get only different kinds of noise at the filter output.

Has anybody an idea, if there is a known issue or what else could be the problem?

I want to use an IIR filter to reduce the number of coefficents. Is that maybe a bad idea?

Thanks,

Jan Henning Mueller

View Profile WWW 68756637   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Re: IIR-Filter with MATLAB fdatool and HDL Toolbox
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2009, 6:15am

Jan,
You give only a vague general description of your problem, so any answers you get will probably be vague and general.  In my experience with Matlab/Simulink/HDL-Coder my generated filters worked fine after some debugging.

Over and over again (and not just with electronics ;-) I have found that a "slight error" is harder to debug than a gross error such as you are dealing with. Keep that in mind as you go through your design and testbench with a fine-toothed comb.  You'll probably smack your forehead and say Duh! when you find your error.  Best of luck.

Bob P.
www.RPeruzzi.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.