The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 15th, 2024, 10:37pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Channel S-Parameters in Simulink (Read 6960 times)
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
Channel S-Parameters in Simulink
Jun 27th, 2009, 12:48pm

Hi everybody,
   I created a communication system to simulate a ranging system. After some measurements I collected the S-Parameters of the channel in a s2p file and I would like to through these parameters into the model of my channel for a more precise simulation.

How can I do it? Does anybody have previous experiences to share about it? I have the RF Toolbox too

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Channel S-Parameters in Simulink
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2009, 1:42pm

.matteo wrote on Jun 27th, 2009, 12:48pm:
How can I do it? Does anybody have previous experiences to share about it? I have the RF Toolbox too
"RF Toolbox" is MATLAB not Simulink.
MATLAB are different from Simulink.
See documents of "RF Blockset" of Simulink.

If you have "RF Blockset", you can use s2p file easily.
Use the following three blocks.
   RF Blockset>Physical>Input/Output Ports>Input Port
   RF Blockset>Physical>Input/Output Ports>Output Port
   RF Blockset>Physical>Black Box Elements>General Passive Network

Of course, here you have to understand concept of equivalent lowpass model for RF bandpass system very correctly to use these blocks.

If you don't have "RF Blockset", create complex coefficients FIR model to express S21 as equivalent lowpass model.
Of course, also here you have to understand concept of equivalent lowpass model for RF bandpass system very correctly.

You have to understand that models of Simulink are no more than signal flow system not energy conservative system which have flow and potential, although "RF Blockset" take account of S11, S12 and S22.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
.matteo
Community Member

Padova, Italy
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2009, 9:22am

I did it and it works great.

My only concern is about the input and output impedance of the equivalent S-parameters RF model in Simulink.

The data was acquired with a network analizer and it's just the s-parameters of the free space path given by two antennas ..I think I should set 0 input impedance and infinite output impedance in simulink. Do you agree?

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2009, 9:46am

.matteo wrote on Jul 1st, 2009, 9:22am:
The data was acquired with a network analizer and it's just the s-parameters of the free space path given by two antennas ..
I think I should set 0 input impedance and infinite output impedance in simulink.
Do you agree?
Not correct.
It seems you don't understand S-parameter you measured at all.

Your S-parameter is for ANT-Space-ANT.
Your concern is S21, so input and output must be terminated by 50ohm.

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2009, 8:39pm by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.