The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confusion about Resolution BW of Tx spectrum mask (Read 4559 times)
AnalogAroma
Community Member

Germany
Confusion about Resolution BW of Tx spectrum mask
Jul 14th, 2009, 8:02am

Hi Everybody,

In the spec of Transmission spectrum mask ofZigbee,  the power at 300K offset from  fo = 868MHz should be -36 dBm/100 KHz or -86 dBm/Hz.

However, when we do PSD or FFT in Cadence Spectre or MATLAB, we get a PSD output per Hz. So, for comparison with FFT results, I should use the figure -86 dBm/Hz.  

Am I right ?

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: Confusion about Resolution BW of Tx spectrum mask
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2009, 11:35am

The DFT or PSD techniques also have an equivalent RBW. In principal the RBW of a DFT is equal to delta_F or 1/(Tstop-Tstart).

You would need 1 sec worth of data to yield a DFT with 1 Hz resolution per frequency bin.

1msec = 1kHz resolution

AC and PNOISE yield noise power per Hz or V I per sqrt(Hz), but the DFT and PSD functions have there own RBW.

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogAroma
Community Member

Germany
Re: Confusion about Resolution BW of Tx spectrum mask
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2009, 11:40am

Hi RFICDude,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. You have helped me to avoid a huge embarassment !!!!!!!!

After applying your idea , I have found a huge discrepancy between Simulink PSD result and Cadence   PSD result !!.

Tx power attenuaton in Simulink is more than -40 dBc while in Cadence using psdbb function and using RBW = 100 KHz , attenuation is  -19.3dBc !

I need to contact the baseband  guys to midify the RBW settings in Simulink.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.