The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:41am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Measure NF of low-IF mixer (Read 828 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Measure NF of low-IF mixer
Sep 22nd, 2009, 6:57pm

Hi all,

I want to measure the NF of a downconversion mixer with an IF of around 100 kHz. Can anybody reccommend equipment to do this? Currently I am using an ESA spectrum analyzer with built in noise personality (it uses the Y-factor method), but the analyzer is not designed to be used below 10 MHz (although it will output data). So i'm worried that the measurement results are far off.

Another method I thought of using is the gain method where I don't need a noise source. Is this method considered accurate for my application. The DUT gain is around 30 dB and the RF frequency is 2.4 GHz.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Measure NF of low-IF mixer
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2009, 5:48am

I think more important than the gain is the NF you are expecting. A very low noise figure would be more suspectable to measurement errors using simple C/N NF calculation.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2009, 8:26am

I expect an NF of around 6 dB. I figured that the main consideration is the output noise versus the noise floor of the spectrum analyzer...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2009, 8:51am

Yes based on these numbers, it should be fine to use a spectrum analyser and C/N method.
Analyser noise floor is easily de-embedded... e.g. noise floor 6dB below DUT noise contibutes 1dB to the measured noise, 10dB below contibutes 0.4dB etc.
A post amp might help to get the DUT noise above analyser noise floor if its a problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.