The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 4:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bandgap Frequency responce (Read 8046 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Bandgap Frequency responce
Nov 05th, 2009, 8:15am

hi,
  i am new to bandgap design, i had couple of questions on that

1.Why none of the book is discussing frequency response, normally how much phase margin people target?

2.I feel op amp output is the best place to compensate, because by   putting cap between vdd and opamp output any noise in the vdd won't enter in the circuit, but in one paper they claimed that this will cap will increase noise, can any one please explain this.

3. How to decide error amp bandwidth?
Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: Bandgap Frequency responce
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2009, 11:19am

hi raja,

Quote:
1.Why none of the book is discussing frequency response, normally how much phase margin people target?

Maybe, noone talks about bandgap frequency response because bandgap is a very slow circuit...

Quote:
2.I feel op amp output is the best place to compensate, because by   putting cap between vdd and opamp output any noise in the vdd won't enter in the circuit, but in one paper they claimed that this will cap will increase noise, can any one please explain this.

No, i agree with the paper...Placing a cap b/w opamp o/p node and VDD will directly couple any high frequency Noise into the ckt...thereby degrading PSRR at higher Frequencies...

Quote:
3. How to decide error amp bandwidth?

I am myself not much sure about this....But i guess, you choose it depending on the noise profile of your supply, and the BW of the bandgap ckt.Maybe some senior can help...

--mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2009, 12:51pm

raja.cedt wrote on Nov 5th, 2009, 8:15am:
hi,
  i am new to bandgap design, i had couple of questions on that

Commonly, phase margin is a useless staff during design of a bandgap because the one is a more than two-pole system with two or more local feedbacks, positive as well as negative. It does not matter how circuit is slow. Any feedback loop should be stable. If your circuit is slow it only means you will see the lo-frequency oscillation. Only step response gives correct answer

Quote:

Bandgap generate DC voltage not at the output of that OTA! So, ideally the reference voltage must be with zero bandwidth in order to exclude any output noise. Large cap - low BW - low noise, pure and simple.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2009, 2:23am

Raja,
        Did you refer to the book on Voltage References by Rincon Moora...A prof. for GaTech....The book's quite comprehensive....That could help you in BandGap design....

@ Vladislav : Suppose, you place a cap b/w two nodes....Impedance offered in 1/jwC ...So as the cap value increases, impedance b/w two nodes keep on decreasing....So, lower frequency signals will pass more easily through the cap....Isn't this correct ?

As for placing a cap as per raja's wish, The cap value required to produce some substantial coupling for even some noise of 10 MHz frequency would require very high cap value > some hundreds of nF .....So as long as your cap value is on pF, PSRR degradation will happen in some GHz range...If you are ok with that, then i think you can go for this scheme....

--Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2009, 3:06am

Mayank wrote on Nov 6th, 2009, 2:23am:
Raja,
@ Vladislav : Suppose, you place a cap b/w two nodes....Impedance offered in 1/jwC ...So as the cap value increases, impedance b/w two nodes keep on decreasing....So, lower frequency signals will pass more easily through the cap....Isn't this correct ?
--Mayank.

true, but this is not a noise. There are many ways to do gorund and vdd ¨clean¨ but you can nothing to do with 4kTR, 4kTgm*gammar but decrease the BW. So, I think this is the trade-off

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2009, 6:15am

hi,
   thank you very much for your replies...but you people are claming that band gap is slow, but if any supply transients then it has to settle in the specified time..so BW of error amp is matter i feel..is it correct?

manyak do you have that voltage reference book..if you have any e book please send it me

Thanks,
Rajasekhar

HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2009, 6:45am

raja.cedt wrote on Nov 6th, 2009, 6:15am:
hi,
   thank you very much for your replies...but you people are claming that band gap is slow, but if any supply transients then it has to settle in the specified time..so BW of error amp is matter i feel..is it correct?

I actually do not agree the bandgap loop is slow...in a simple version (without an op-amp) the loop has a very wideband response....
the reason why regular stability parameters are not usually considered is that the loop is inherently positive and always with a gain less than 1 (otherwise it would oscillate)
More complicated circuits to make the bandgap reference more accurate might eventually slow down the loop, but still I think is not that slow.
I do agree we only care about very low frequency content of the bandgap signal (Actually its DC value only) though...

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2009, 6:57am

hi chopper,
               i agree with you but its not a +ve feedback loop,because there is high gain _ve FB loop also there, but finally we care about dc but ac oscillation may give problems in some cases.... so i just want to know is there any reference which is discussing noise performance and error amp design?

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2009, 10:08am

Actually,
              The error amplifier tries to maintain same voltage in the two branches on these resp nodes ---> one above the resistance, another directly above the BJT in a standard BG architecture....
       There are two loops that are formed, one is a +ve FB loop, and another a -ve FB loop....As far as i know, you always keep -ve FB loop stronger than the +ve FB loop(usually by a factor of around 2x)....So that your overall BG ckt is stable.....

@ chopper : The BG startup is usually a very slow process....I meant it that way....

--Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2009, 6:43pm

Mayank wrote on Nov 6th, 2009, 10:08am:
Actually,
              The error amplifier tries to maintain same voltage in the two branches on these resp nodes ---> one above the resistance, another directly above the BJT in a standard BG architecture....
       There are two loops that are formed, one is a +ve FB loop, and another a -ve FB loop....As far as i know, you always keep -ve FB loop stronger than the +ve FB loop(usually by a factor of around 2x)....So that your overall BG ckt is stable.....

@ chopper : The BG startup is usually a very slow process....I meant it that way....

--Mayank.

Hi Mayank,

I was actually referring to a simpler bandpag topology, like the one shown here:
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1247576404/9#9

In this one the loop gain is positive and two local negative feedback loops: the beta helper and the translinear loop.

Nevertheless, when an error amplifier is used, its negative feedback loop gain is way higher larger than the positive one from the standard bandgap. In this case the stability is purely set by the amplifier's loop and therefore the bandgap has almost nothing to do with the loop stability.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2009, 6:32am

Hello everyone,
                       I have a question on Error Amplifier used in standard PTAT architectures, BG ckts or active current mirrors for vds matching.....

Here, I am talking wrt to Active Current Mirrors where unlike BG, the current through the FET connected to opamp o/p has to be altered considerably...

Should the o/p swing of the opamp be very high ?

-Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
[]Y
Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2009, 8:50am

hi mayank,
                i didn't get your question, could you please explain. Are you talking about load current drawn from BG?

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2009, 2:42am

Actually,
             This isnt related to BG in any way..I was talking about active cascode config of current mirrors....Error amplifier was being discussed here, that's why i asked the question in this thread...I should be asking it in a separate thread....I would try to attach a snapshot of schematic, although i have always failed to upload any pic on this forum..

regards,
Mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.