The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 2:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
antenna diode (Read 229 times)
Dipankar
Community Member

antenna diode
Nov 15th, 2009, 4:01am

Dear All,
             To get rid of antenna violation I use antenna diode (n+ diode - n+ implant in p-sub) in the long metal lines connected to MOSFET's gate and it works. But the reverse break down voltage of the diode is ~11.5 V. So it means if some static charge gets developped in the metal line the voltage can go upto ~11.5 V before the diode provides a short. Now I wonder how the use of  diode passes the antenna rule because 11.4 V should be enough to damage the gate-dielectric ( gate thickness 4 nm ) . Please tell where the logic goes wrong.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: antenna diode
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2009, 9:43pm

Hi Dipankar,
                  As far as i remember, Antenna Diodes work on forward bias voltage...What i mean to say is that antenna diodes prevent Gate voltage to exceed supply voltage by more than Von(0.4~0.7V) of the Antenna Diode...Not the Reverse BreakDown Voltage of the diode....

Consider this :-- You tie the Gate of a MOS at +ve-jnxn and Vdd at -ve-jnxn of the diode....In normal operation, it is reverse biased...In case, charge got accumulated at the gate and Gate Votlage exceeded the supply voltage by more than Von of the Diode, Immediately diode will become ON and would facilitate charge flow from gate bringing it back to <=supply voltage. Sounds LOGICAL, right ??
        Maybe some ESD expert can explain better...

--regards,
mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
Mooraka

Lexington, KY
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2009, 9:02am

Dipankar,
I think you have a valid point here for the inversion region. I see some options in the literature for this case such as using a gated diode instead of simple diffusion diode. See the link below.
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=ZzMEAAAAEBAJ&dq=Method+and+apparatus+for+...

Other ways are to maintain safe gate/metal area ratio and use of vias to shorten the single metal lengths.

Ram

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2009, 9:13am

If you cant suffer the use of antenna effect diodes in the design the trick of breaking the metal line up into pieces and connectining it together in other layers does work pretty well.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mooraka

Lexington, KY
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2009, 9:17am

On the same point, use of simple diffusion diode will also suffice some times even though break down voltage is high. The accumulated charge on the gate will transfer to the substrate as diode leakage current in reverse bias.

ram

View Profile   IP Logged
Dipankar
Community Member

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2009, 9:30am

Mooraka wrote on Nov 16th, 2009, 9:17am:
On the same point, use of simple diffusion diode will also suffice some times even though break down voltage is high. The accumulated charge on the gate will transfer to the substrate as diode leakage current in reverse bias.

ram

Dear Mooraka,

Have you found any material supporting what you are saying ?

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Mooraka

Lexington, KY
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2009, 7:46am

None yet. But I think it is true as I still see use of simple antenna diode even at scaled technologies down to 65nm.

Ram

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.