The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 12:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
buffer in LDO (Read 3888 times)
Dipankar
Community Member

buffer in LDO
Nov 19th, 2009, 9:10am

Want to design a buffer interposed between error amplifier and PMOS pass device. (Iload being 50 mA pass device is huge) . But vin = 1.2 V. So can't use a simple source follower because of voltage level shift. Can some one hint at some other approach ?

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: buffer in LDO
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2009, 6:08am

hi,
  whats the problem with big device man,there are many low jitter plls with ring oscillators are drawing 30 to 40ma, you can proceed, if you want to put a buffer again you have to compensate loop. This will give very bad PSRR.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2009, 6:45am

Thanx raja,
               That's exactly what i needed to know....that there exist low jitter plls which take powers up to 30 - 40 mA with ring osci's on 1.2V supply....& that my design is not so bad after all.....But about how low jitter & what osc freq.+comparison freq. pair are you referring to at this much power burnout ??

--mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2009, 7:41am

hi,
  it's around 6.2G, but here actually ring oscillator driving many phase mixer.

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

Dipankar
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2009, 6:42pm

Dear Sirs,

Please don't diverge from the topic under this thread.

The motivation behind the buffer in the LDO (after the 1st gain stage)  is not enhancing driving capability but impedaance transformation so that the high output impedance of the 1st stage amplifier  does not see the high capacitance of the pass device.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2009, 8:04pm

Correct me if i am wrong dipankar,
                   but isn't the error amplifying Loop supposed to have as low BW as possible....So Increased cap should reduce BW & improve PM of the loop....

--mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2009, 8:58am

hi Dipankar,
                 the motivation behind buffer is mainly for driving capability,not impedance..just check impedance, i feel its same in both cases.

@mayank: how can say error amp bw is low? it depends on the psrr profile you want.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2009, 7:45am

Hello,
         Sorry for the delay....was busy in past few days...

@ raja : I believe that more the error amplifier BW, more the noise introduced at the Vbias node (gates) of the PMOS transistors...
 Lemme explain it this way....Suppose opamp has some finite UGB Fo......It will process all noise elements in supply below Fo as small signal input and vary the output accordingly.....But all high frequency noise above Fo will not change the output of the opamp..Which is what we desire....
   This way if Error Amplifying Loop BW is very Low, we will get even better supply noise rejection

Quote:
it depends on the psrr profile you want.

Could you explain it further ??

--mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2009, 9:56am

hi mayank,
               what i want to say is opamp BW is mainly decided by AC psrr.......

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.