The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 17th, 2024, 10:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Setting up VersionSync for small group (Read 4330 times)
Kudie

Germany
Setting up VersionSync for small group
Nov 27th, 2009, 9:15am

Hello everybdoy,

I'm trying to set up a team design environment using VersionSync which is delivered with IC5141.

Everything is working fine, except for the "common library":
For this lib everybody should have write permission, so that User 1 creates a design and User 2 might change it (e.g. on person does the circuit, the second does the layout and adds some dummy transisitors to the circuit). In reality only the owner (=creator) of the design can change or even add a new view to the cell (to the repository).

According the versionSync documentation I should be able to change this by setting VSFILEPERMS = 664 and VSDIRPERMS = 775 - but I see absolutely no effect when I set these variables!  :-[
I also tried to set the sticky bit for the repository root and VSFILEPERMS=2775 to keep the sticky bit - this didn't work also.

Can anybody give me a hint how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance
Markus

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Setting up VersionSync for small group
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2010, 8:45am

I should point out that VersionSync has not been supported for several years now (whilst it is still in IC5141, it was end-of-lifed - the OEM agreement under which it was delivered to Cadence from Synchronicity (now part of Dassault Systemes) came to an ened).

How and where are you setting these variables? I assume you're doing:

setenv VSFILEPERMS 664

etc before starting icfb?

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Kudie

Germany
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2010, 12:51am

Hello Andrew,

thank you for your answer.

I know that VersionSync is at the end (or over) it's lifetime, we know it's drawbacks but anyway, it's sufficient for us.

I'm doing like you've written. I set the variables using "setenv" before I start "icfb" resp. before I use "gdmci" or "gdmco".

Anyway:
I have solved the problem meanwhile. I have to set "VSDIRPERMS=2775" and "VSFILEPERMS=2664". The problem was that our users belong to two different groups and the group information is only kept by VersionSync if the sticky bit is set for VSFILEPERMS, too - even if this shouldn't be necessary (as far as I understand the principles of the Linux file system...).

Regards,
Markus

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2010, 2:26am

Hi Markus,

BTW (me being pedantic), it's not the "sticky" bit but the "setuid" or "setgid" bit (a common mistake). The "sticky" bit is for something else altogether - usually used in /tmp to prevent others being allowed to delete files.

I didn't try anything out, or read the documentation, but having setgid bit on a directory causes all files within that directory to inherit the group. Normally it would also cause child directories to inherit the setgid bit in the permissions too, but I suspect that the fact that VersionSync is controlling the permissions via these two environment variables means that you need to tell it to explicitly set the setgid bit.

I doubt the setuid bit is needed though. I don't think that does anything (except allow executables to be run as a different user).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.