The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 4:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PFD  characteristics (Read 4326 times)
ReadWDX

China
PFD  characteristics
Dec 01st, 2009, 2:56am

hi,all
  now I want to design a RF PLL, when I design PFD, I do not know how to simulate PFD characteristical curve,some has done it? I need help, thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: PFD  characteristics
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2009, 3:56am

Hello RDX,   Tongue

On a standalone basis, you can simulate your PFD so that the UP & the DNbar or UPbar & DN signals math exactly....ie transition at vdd/2.

The Best way to characterize Phase-detector ckt of a PLL is to plug the PFD and Charge-Pump together.
1. Give two signals on input freq and fed-back Freq with a certain difference in Time-period & that difference as the delay between the clocks transitions. ---> The idea is to basically produce transitions with decreasing/ increasing difference b/w ref. freq node & PLL fed-back node.
2.  Now measure the CPUMP current corresponding to each commparison. You will get a staircase kind of response...
3.  This will help you estimate the gain of your P-D ckt as well as Static Phase Error.
4.  If you want to obtain the gain plot of PD ckt, vary the delay b/w the two clocks at ref & PLL fed-back node and measure the Cpump current o/p.  Plot cpump current o/p against the phase error (360deg * delay / Tcomparison) -- you will obtain a KPD plot as shown in books...My belief is that you however generally dont need that plot.

thanx
mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
ReadWDX

China
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2009, 11:05pm

thanks Mayank very much

I have done as you suggest,I got the result is followed:
in the plot ,Iout is average of the Charge pump output cuurent,
If you can tell me the problem in my result,I would be grateful!
[img][/img]

I_avg.png
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:05am

hi,
   seems like your circuit is correct but may be you have given wrong sweep statement. by the what's your Icp? is it 180uA

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:55am

Hello RDX,
                 The shape of the plots seem matching, so i guess your ckt functioanlity is correct....How are you calculating the avg current ??  & What is your X-axis (Delter) and in what units (if phase, degrees/readians) ??

mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 1:33am

hi,
   i feel sweeping in the -ve direction is wrong and are you finding average over enough cycles.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

ReadWDX

China
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 5:53pm

Thanks for all giving  me avaluable advice!
in my design ,I take the charge pump current is 180uA,and the average current is calculated by " average"function in cadence calculator,the "delter" is the delay time of input signals of PFD,unit is secend.
when I calculated the average of current,I took 80 cycles ,Is it enough?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 7:48pm

hi,
  i feel 80 cycle's are too much.ok any how it's not a problem but have checked abut sweep comand once..i feel there is some problem.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 8:56pm

Hi,
    I think the plot is a bit shifted....Ideally the plot should be a piecewise linear plot b/w +pi to --pi on x-axis if your x-axis is in radians. What is your time period 28ns-30ns ??

Can you attach the staircase response of charge-pump o/p voltage node with the i/p & fed-back pulses ?

thanx
mayank

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.