The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Fig. 17 of the paper "Device noise simulation of DS Modulators" (Read 3341 times)
alireza

Question about Fig. 17 of the paper "Device noise simulation of DS Modulators"
Dec 10th, 2009, 8:17pm

Hi,

In Fig 17 of the paper: "Device noise simulation of DS Modulators", simulation results of the input referred noise PSD of a discrete-time integrator is plotted. The plot shows that at relatively high frequencies (close to fs/2), the noise floor starts to rise significantly. In the paper, it is mentioned that this is due to the small integrator gain near fs/2. However, this is not clear to me. The reason is I think the integrator gain should only affect the output noise spectrum, not the input-referred spectrum. (The input-referred spectrum should not depend on the transfer function H(z).)
On the other hand, I thought the input PSD should be white at medium to high frequencies.

Any feedback or comments are very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Alireza

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Question about Fig. 17 of the paper "Device noise simulation of DS Modulato
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2009, 4:14am

alireza wrote on Dec 10th, 2009, 8:17pm:
The reason is I think the integrator gain should only affect the output noise spectrum, not the input-referred spectrum.
(The input-referred spectrum should not depend on the transfer function H(z).)
Still you can't understand correctly.
Again see http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1258339986/25#25

Output noise spectrum is a result of contribution from all sidebands, that is, multiple foldings.
While H(z=ejωTs) considers only zero sideband.
So the input-referred spectrum depend on the transfer function H(z=ejωTs).

alireza wrote on Dec 10th, 2009, 8:17pm:
On the other hand, I thought the input PSD should be white at medium to high frequencies.
Not correct.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
alireza

Re: Question about Fig. 17 of the paper "Device noise simulation of DS Modulators"
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2010, 8:55am

On page 14 of the paper, it says Figs 15-17 are plotted up to the frequency fs/2=62.5KHz. However, the plots extend over 1MHz freq. range. Why is that?

What I am looking for is whether pnoise (time-domain) or pnoise (sources) were used to obtain the plots in Figs 15-17.

Regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.