The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 4:45am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ldo pass transistor lay-out (Read 3334 times)
Dipankar
Community Member

ldo pass transistor lay-out
Dec 31st, 2009, 7:37am

Dear All,

Is there any special attention needs to be taken for ldo pass transistor (pmos) lay-out ? I use n+ bulk ring (connected to VDD)  for each multi-plier and use another wider n+ bulk ring to surround all the multipliers. Also try to keep the whole mos shape close to square. Should i use a nwell ( VSS) ring outside the p ring ? any other recomendation ?

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: ldo pass transistor lay-out
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2009, 7:49am

Hi Dipankar,
                  Can you pls explain Why place a ring around each multiplier ?? I thought the closer the fingers, the better the matching right ??
     A thick ring covering all the multipliers is understandable...

regards,
Mayank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dipankar
Community Member

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2009, 8:32am

If I don't use bulk ring for each multipler then there will be many devices from which the distance of bulk contact will be ~100 um. That means you allow the stray minority electrons to flow in the nwell for a long distance before collected by the bilk contact. And for this pass transistor matching is not impotant (match with whom ??? ). Only concern is that  things remain consistent between simulation and silicon.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2009, 2:24pm

matching in a large power transistor is important in the bipolar world, but not as much in the CMOS world.

CMOS devices are self balancing to get equal current thru all parallel devices. Bipolar devices are not.

Two things on geometry with the pass transistor -
1. Keep the transistor width short enough so that the gate stripe resistance does not become an issue. (its an RC time constant thing, go figure frequency of the control signal vs. RC of the gate across the transistor width.
2. Extensive well tie ups are needed to keep the bulk tied to the positive power.

With those 2 things, you end up breaking the transistor into an array of smaller devices tied in parallel.

jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Dipankar
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2009, 7:05pm

Thank you Jerry. I do the same.

With Thanks and Regards,
Dipankar.
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.