The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 16th, 2024, 12:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
parasitic capacitance in nanoscale cmos (Read 8835 times)
analog_ali

parasitic capacitance in nanoscale cmos
Feb 08th, 2010, 8:00pm

Hello All,

I am looking for some info. regarding the "percentage of parasitic capacitances associated with the capacitors" realized in recent nanometer CMOS nodes. (MIM caps, etc.) Does anyone know a good reference?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
ali

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: parasitic capacitance in nanoscale cmos
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2010, 12:36am

Hi Ali,

Since information about technologies usually are protected by NDAs I think it is difficult to get just an information in a forum. The best solution is the get access to a nanometer CMOS technology by yourself.

Otherwise, the following paper provides some information:

@article{ApHaJSSCMarch02,
Roberto Aparicio and Ali Hajimiri
Capacity Limits and Matching Properties of Integrated Capacitors
IEEE of Solid-State Circuits
volume = "37",
nunber = "3",
month = "March",
pages = "384-393",
capacitors, vertical, parallel, density, matching
}

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2010, 8:17pm

analog_ali wrote on Feb 8th, 2010, 8:00pm:
I am looking for some info. regarding the "percentage of parasitic capacitances associated with the capacitors" realized in recent nanometer CMOS nodes. (MIM caps, etc.) Does anyone know a good reference?

The percentage (i.e. ratio) of parasitic capacitance with respect to the total net capacitance for intended capacitors depends greatly on the following factors:

1. Capacitor type - MOS, Poly-to-Poly, MIM, MOM, etc.
2. Size of the capacitor (spatial dimensions as well as capacitance value)
3. Layout of the circuit that interconnects and/or shields the capacitors.

This percentage may range anywhere from ~0.1% up to ~50%.

For example, a typical value of capacitance density for MIM capacitors is ~1fF/um2. Design rules vary, but typically the minimum size of the capacitor is a few squared microns. So, a minimum capacitance value of a unit capacitor is a few fF - and hence parasitic capacitance of the nets connected to the capacitor plates can easily be comparable to the intended capacitance value.

What frequently matter is not the absolute value of parasitic capacitance, but the capacitance mismatch that is induced by the parasitics. The problem is that very often "standard" parasitic extraction tools (or PDKs provided by foundries) do not provide sufficient accuracy for capacitance mismatch analysis.

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2010, 11:51pm

Quote:
For example, a typical value of capacitance density for MIM capacitors is ~1fF/um2

What means 'typical'? Is 350nm CMOS or 45nm CMOS "typical"?
It have used technologies that provide 1fF/um2 MIM caps, but I have also used technologies where 4fF/um2 MIM caps are available.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2010, 12:53am

Berti wrote on Feb 16th, 2010, 11:51pm:
Quote:
For example, a typical value of capacitance density for MIM capacitors is ~1fF/um2

What means 'typical'? Is 350nm CMOS or 45nm CMOS "typical"?
It have used technologies that provide 1fF/um2 MIM caps, but I have also used technologies where 4fF/um2 MIM caps are available.

Cheers

"typical" with "~" means "order of magnitude". 4 fF/um2 falls into that category as well (although this value seems to be on the high side).

My main point was not to quote a specific value of MIM capacitor density, but to point out a fact that the minimum MIM/MOM/PIP/... capacitor value (as defined by design rules) is comparable to parasitic capacitance value.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.