The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:44am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
optimization of matching network in cadence (Read 6105 times)
nadroit

optimization of matching network in cadence
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:48am

Hi All
 As a part of understanding how to optimize matching networks in cadence I am designing a matching network to match 10 ohm load  to 50 ohms source at 6Ghz. I am using simple L matching network and I know all the equations required. I come up with the required values of L and C. Simulation shows real part of input impedance to be 50 ohms when I use ideal inductor and capacitor. Now I keep ideal capacitor and use inductor provided by tsmc 0.13um process. As expected (because of component Q) real part of input impedance is dropped to 45 ohms. I want to know how I can use cadence to automatically optimize this or any other matching network. I found that ADE GXL can be used for optimization but when I read the manual I thought it can be used for only Anlog Circuits (matching devices etc). Please let me know how I can use cadence to do the optimization of matching networks.

Thanks in Adavce

View Profile   IP Logged
weber8722
Community Member

Re: optimization of matching network in cadence
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2011, 12:25am

Hi,

of course ADEGXL can optimize such matching networks (just optimize for maximum gain in pass-band). I usually start with a Smith chart (like this in www.weberconnect.de/adlabp2.htm  :)), then make the elements more realistic (like series resistor on L and C, etc.). Last you can optimize. For this simple thing, you may also go directly to optimization, but the manual method is still good for having few elements only. With more complex matching networks (try ANPASS.EXE of Adlabplus) optimization is a MUST.

Bye Stephan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.