The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 31st, 2024, 3:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bandgap reference voltage (Read 6417 times)
circuit_cook

bandgap reference voltage
Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:47am

Hi, I have a question about bandgap voltage, I am porting a bandgap design which is a typical Brokaw bandgap, from 45nm to 40nm, but the bipolar model, (Tnf1, tnf2) changed a lot, and Vbe extraplated at absolute 0T shifted down 10mV from 45nm to 40nm in my simulation. The bandgap voltage output in 45nm is 1.23V, while after I adjust the R ratio (minimum change desired) to achieve zero TC in 40nm, I get 1.20V for 40nm.
     But I was told both zero TC and the 1.23V is important to keep the same. Because the bandgap is used as reference in AD,etc.
    Is that possible I can get the 1.23V just by adjusting the bandgap IPTAT current, to get the VBE TC like in 45nm? the current change  would be too much, and it would require other opa change, since TC(vbe) =f(Vbe0), and Vbe0=Vtln(Ic).
    Please give me some advice.

Thank you.
JS  

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: bandgap reference voltage
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2011, 9:37am

Knowing the Serenity prayer might help ;).

Personally, I don't trust models to that level, but assuming the model is correct you are pretty limited in what you can do to change the magnitude of the voltage at the 0 TC point.

In theory increasing the bipolar ptat current will do nothing. If you are seeing differences it is because of non-ideal effects such as the voltage drop across the base resistance. A good bandgap design will not rely on these non-ideal effects as they are usually not modeled well.

Another thing that will change the 0 TC voltage (and also the curvature) is the temp co of the resistor used to generate the "ptat" current.

Since you are coming up 30 mv short I think the best option is to gain it up. This was easy with the original "Brokaw" BG. a little less obvious with other designs.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2011, 4:01pm

A standard brokaw bandgap will have vout=vbe + (1+R1/R2)*Vt*ln(m), m=ratio of bipolars. Adjust your resistors to get the right voltage.

but seriously with 40nm or 45nm designs, you should really be thinking about using 0.6V bandgap references ... I presume you are using CMOS, in which case the current mirrors and headroom is going to be an issue.

there are several papers in JSSC that you can refer to ...

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2011, 4:13pm

Harpoon, unfortunately, when you change the resistor ratio you also change the temp co.

View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2011, 4:53pm

RobG ... well spotted ...

View Profile   IP Logged
circuit_cook

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2011, 7:51pm

Hi,
  Thanks Robg and Harpoon for the reply, my understanding is my new bandgap output voltage is fundemantally 1.20v for zero TC.
   I will try if I can use some offset in the next stage when I generate vbg/R current.
   Thanks again.

JS.

View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2011, 2:49am

hi circuit_cook,

do let us know how you came to that conclusion ...

... and does 30mV in bandgap voltage really make that much of a difference in 40nm ?

like you, I am trying to learn more about these type of circuits esp at sub-90nm

thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2011, 9:56am

circuit_cook wrote on Jul 31st, 2011, 7:51pm:
Hi,
  Thanks Robg and Harpoon for the reply, my understanding is my new bandgap output voltage is fundemantally 1.20v for zero TC.
   I will try if I can use some offset in the next stage when I generate vbg/R current.
   Thanks again.

JS.

If you only need a current you should be able to change the resistor on the vbg to vbg/R converter. Alternatively, you could build a bandgap "current source." See the Bamba paper for a current source (they convert the current back to a voltage, but you get the idea). The nice thing about building a current source directly is that you can include the effect of resistor temp-co.

Good luck!

Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.