The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maximum continuous rating (MOSFET) (Read 4715 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Maximum continuous rating (MOSFET)
Oct 17th, 2011, 10:48pm

Hi all,

I have the electrical specifications for a certain MOSFET, and it gives two numbers.

1) Maximum D.C. Operating Voltage
2) Absolute Maximum Continuous Rating

The first one is the one I'm used to seeing, for instance 1.8 V for 0.18 um technology. But the second one is higher and it is noted that "Absolute maximum continuous rating are those values beyond which damage to the device may occur."

So exactly what is the "continuous rating"? Does it mean AC? Or is AC even higher?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Maximum continuous rating (MOSFET)
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2011, 6:03pm

It is ambiguous - ask the vendor for the specifics of the test situation and conditionals of the rating numbers.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Maximum continuous rating (MOSFET)
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2011, 4:59pm

I agree It is ambiguous.
However I think the first one is setting the limit for which the devices are characterized for normal operation, and additionally provides a safety margin with respect to devices breakdowns.

The second one I guess it has more to do with max power dissipation on the device, that eventually might create the condition for reaching second breakdowns or thermal runaway.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.