The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Connecting oscilloscope to ASIC test pad (Read 3794 times)
simdes

Connecting oscilloscope to ASIC test pad
Oct 25th, 2011, 1:58pm

Hello, I'm designing my first IC. There will be four ring oscillators running on 400 - 450 MHz and some others modules. Two of them will be in PLL and two will be enabled and free running. The signals form the oscillators would be internal only. I think that's good idea to do buffered (with EN) test pads connected to the oscillators for debug purpose  to see if they working (oscillators). In my university J have access to very poor equipped lab with the probe station, agilent B1500A semiconductor device Analyzer, oscilloscope, and few others... There are only DC probes, no RF probes or network analyzer. So I thinking connecting this oscilloscope to test pads on wafer. Any suggestions how? They can spend some money on my project. My idea is to buy basic RF probe + coax cable and connect directly to the oscilloscope. Will that work? The ASIC will be bonded directly to the printed board, so mayby better bond these pads to printed board and there probe them with oscilloscope in conventional manner, but this will degrade signal... and there's little space on PCB around die...

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Connecting oscilloscope to ASIC test pad
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2011, 5:06pm

you probably want to build a dedicated (external to the IC) circuit on the PCB so that you can directly drive a 50 ohm coax.

include methods to calibrate that circuit out of the measurements.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.