The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question about PLL reference phase noise (Read 4888 times)
lonemy

hefei anhui china
question about PLL reference phase noise
Nov 02nd, 2011, 8:17pm

Hello everyone:

I have a question about PLL reference clock.
       if we have two reference clock, the phase noise spec and frequency are the same and the only difference is the output clock power. use these two clock as one PLL reference, how will the PLL performance change?

PS: I think that different output power and the same phase noise
              ->the absolute power of phase noise will be different
              ->the PLL output phase noise caused by reference will be different
              ->but this will contradict to Ken's paper "predicting the phase noise and jitter of PLL-Based frequency synthesizers"

Thanks!

View Profile lonemy   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: question about PLL reference phase noise
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2011, 2:58am

hello could you please reframe your Question?

Up to my understanding there will some time two reference sources like multi std serdes. there you have support from many standards, like some stnds  needs 100meg where as others might require 156.25meg...etc

but my question is why you are saying o/p power changes when you change the reference frequency (o/p power compltely depends on VCO and if there is any level converter).

could you please explain whats the exact contradiction?

Thanks,
raj.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
lonemy

hefei anhui china
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2011, 2:24am

I'm sorry I did not explain this question clearly.
if we have two clocks, their output amplitudes are different(eg. one is 1V and another is 2V) but the phase noise are the same(eg. -100dBc/Hz@10K, -120dBc/Hz@100K, -150dBc/Hz@1M).
then we use these two clock as two PLL's reference respectively, the other part of these two PLL are the same to each other.
how about these two PLL output phase noise? (same or different?)

Thanks for your time~ Smiley

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2011, 4:08am

hello,
So your Question is you have two diferent reference clocks with diferent amplitudes with same Phase noise (it is very rare case because same ferquency and diferent amplitude so getting same noise is rare at least upto my knoeledge). So as far as impact of reference Phase noise at the o/p of the PLL, only TF from ref to o/p and ref Phase noise matters.

One more thing refclk amplitude doesn't matter if your Pfd is working fine with that level.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
lonemy

hefei anhui china
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2011, 7:19pm

Hello raja:

Thank you very much!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.