The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:04pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter estimation on synchronous counter (Read 3982 times)
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Jitter estimation on synchronous counter
Nov 09th, 2011, 4:54pm

Dear  colleagues,

Assuming I know how much jitter my reference clock has, I need to estimate de jitter of synchronous counter of N stages.
If the reference clock jitter is jck my gut feeling is that the total jitter should be jck*√N (assuming uncorrelated jitter between stages).

Is this correct? Any other considerations (or references)?

Thanks
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Re: Jitter estimation on synchronous counter
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2011, 8:28pm

Tosei,
For any flip-flop, the inherent noise in the devices also add jitter at the o/p. So, if the ref clk has jitter of 'jck' and the device noise add a jitter of 'jdn', then the total jitter at the o/p would be rms average of jck & jdn.

For synchronous dividers, jitter doesn' accumulate between stages. Because the jitter at the o/p of the final flop just depends on the jck and its own noise at that time.

View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Re: Jitter estimation on synchronous counter
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2011, 8:29pm

Jitter accumulation happens in ripple counters where, each stage jitter affects the next stage transition.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.