The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 8:30am
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Harmonic Oscillator with ideal Opamp models (Read 8954 times)
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Harmonic Oscillator with ideal Opamp models
Reply #45 - Dec 07th, 2011, 11:55am

Hi Loose-electron (Jerry),

What shall I say? It seems you have misinterpreted my last posting.
Neither was I surprised nor disappointed to find in a magazine with quite good reputation an article that seems to be not correct in all parts.
Such things I have observed many times in the past - insofar, I feel not to live in an "ivory tower". However, I only have mentioned this particular case to give a background for starting this thread - that's all!
Regards

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #46 - Dec 7th, 2011, 4:11pm

buddypoor wrote on Dec 7th, 2011, 11:55am:
Hi Loose-electron (Jerry),

What shall I say? It seems you have misinterpreted my last posting.
Neither was I surprised nor disappointed to find in a magazine with quite good reputation an article that seems to be not correct in all parts.
Such things I have observed many times in the past - insofar, I feel not to live in an "ivory tower". However, I only have mentioned this particular case to give a background for starting this thread - that's all!
Regards

Not a problem!

In this forum you have a mix of experience at all levels.
For those with low levels of experience, they still think journals and trade magazines are infallible, and we both know that they are not.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #47 - Dec 12th, 2011, 6:47am

buddypoor wrote on Dec 7th, 2011, 12:19am:
But the example I have presented is quite different, I think. Using the idealized opamp model the results don't only deviate up to a certain degree from the correct behaviour, but there is a fundamental difference beween real and ideal: works vs. works not at all.    
Thus, there is no chance for the designer to "weigth and take into account the limitations of the model he's running".
I will tell you something about the background of my posting:
There is one author -very well known in the analog world - who has published a paper in an international electronic magazine (also with very good reputation) dealing with an "oscillator circuit" (how he calls it) that never will work in practice. It is a modification of the classical WIEN oscillator - however, all analyses are based on an ideal opamp model only. In detail, he is discussing oscillation condition, frequency, amplitude stabilization - for a "circuit" that never will oscillate in case of real opamps (immediate saturation due to net positive dc feedback).
And my original question was if such a combination of active and passive parts may be called "oscillator".  
What do you think?
Regards

Hi Buddypoor,

I still think it is a matter of being aware that you are dealing with a model - and not a real circuit - during the design phase. The ultimate question is: how well the model represents the circuit you are trying to build? And I think that question applies to the example of the published "oscillator circuit" you pointed out, that only works with ideal components.
It is up to the designer to evaluate the limitations (considering second order effects introduced by actual circuits) of the model which was used for developing the circuit. In the publication you cited, if that was not done, then the analysis was incomplete and the validity of it is under question, as reality proved it.

In my opinion, your example is an example of an "oscillator circuit model" and not and "oscillator circuit": if you are talking about circuits you are talking about real stuff...not models.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #48 - Dec 12th, 2011, 9:00am

Thank you Tosei, I think I can agree with everything.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.