The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:14am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Convert corner files to Monte-Carlo? (Read 3638 times)
weber8722
Community Member

Convert corner files to Monte-Carlo?
Dec 12th, 2011, 5:38am

Hi,

does anybody has a script to convert corner files defining e.g. SS, FF, FS, etc. to an equivalent MC process setup, e.g. by treating the corner values as 3-sigma values for MC? Best for Spectre! I have a pdk which has MC setup only for mismatch, but not for process variations. Huh
Would be also good if it can treat the arising correlations e.g. between VTO too.

Bye Stephan

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Convert corner files to Monte-Carlo?
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2011, 8:38am

I don't think this is going to work the way you think.

Suppose your process has TOX and VFB varying for the different corners (probably, there are other parameters also, but let's keep it simple).  If you assume the TOX for the SS and FF corners define the 3-sigma points of the TOX distribution, and similarly for VFB, then the MC distribution you end up with will be *very* unlikely to hit the 3-sigma points on *both* of those independent variables.

If you try to pick the SS, FF corners as 3-sigma points of the combined distribution, you'll have to make some guesses as to the relative effects of the different parameters: is the "speed" strongly dependent on TOX, but TOX is tightly controlled, or is it weakly dependent on TOX that is poorly controlled?

Let's pretend that you add the sigmas of the two parameters to get the sigma of the MC distribution (I'm sure the math is more complicated, but I think this can illustrate my point without making me spend the time to do the derivation): the 3-sigma point of the MC distribution could be:
a) the 2-sigma point of TOX plus the 1-sigma point of VFB
b) the 1-sigma point of TOX plus the 2-sigma point of VFB
c) the 0.1-sigma point of TOX plus the 2.9-sigma point of VFB

and you can see that the corners are really insufficient for making any kind of assumption about the real distributions.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
weber8722
Community Member

Re: Convert corner files to Monte-Carlo?
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2012, 2:07am

Hi Geoffrey, my thinking was similar and so I expect that the easy way is too easy to really allow yield simulations.

A similar problem will come up for VTO:
TOX shifts VTO but both NMOS and PMOS, leading also to extreme values for SS & FF corners. However, for SF & FS corner the VTO shifts are less extreme than in SS and FF due to correlations.

My thinking is that IF we combine all 5 cornerss, like TT,SS,FF,SF,FS than also such correlations CAN be treated good enough for most purposes.

Bye Stephan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.