The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 4:08am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ADS bondwire model (Read 7292 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

ADS bondwire model
Apr 25th, 2012, 2:41am

Hi all,

ADS has a bondwire model using component BONDW1, BONDW2 etc, where the number represents the number of coupled bondwires.

Has anybody used this model? The results I'm getting a way off from HFSS or rule-of-thumb results. For example, for a single bondwire of around 1mm length and 200um height, the model shows an inductance of 0.67nH where I expect around 1 nH.

thanks,
Aaron

EDIT:
I'm getting a bit closer now after some tweaking, but its still not that good. Does anybody use this?

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Re: ADS bondwire model
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2014, 2:11pm

Hi Aaron,

As for any model you have to calibrate the model against the real package you are using.
ADS bond wire model uses the JEDEC model where you specify the bond wire profile that matches the one from your packaging house.
Usually the packaging house provides a S-parameters file that represents the bond wire and the lead.you can use this file as a starting point to calibrate the JEDEC model and get more reasonable results.
I found these S parameters models sometimes not very accurate so you can then move to the next step and actually measure the precise frequency response of the bond wire. but for this you will have to create a dedicated structure on the die to be able to probe.

I am not familiar with the model HFSS provides but if it has also a JEDEC model then you should get the same results.

Hope this helps

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.