The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem about cml buffer with single-ended signal input (Read 3584 times)
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Problem about cml buffer with single-ended signal input
Jul 24th, 2012, 8:30am

Hello everyone,
       One of the input of CML buffer is a sine wave and the other input is biased by a appropriate DC. How the output of the buffer should be?
I supposed that the waveforms of the output terminals are differential all the same.
      But I found that the simulation result agrees with my thought only when the tail current source is an ideal current source (infinite output impedance). Why these happen? How the output impedance of the tail current source affect the outputs?

Thank you so much!

Yutao

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Problem about cml buffer with single-ended signal input
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2012, 12:14pm

Your signal processing is not purely diffferential.

The loading on/off due to the current source being real transistors to an ideal current source
changes the circuit from being a differential amplifier (ideal current source) to something that looks
like a pair of amplifiers with complementary signals being amplified. (non ideal current source)

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Yutao Liu
Community Member

Guangzhou, China
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2012, 1:25am

Thanks for the explanation.
I did a experiment.
When the current source is implemented by a resistor, the phase shift between two output signals approaches 180 degree as the resistor increase.
When the current source is implemented by a current mirror, the phase shift between outputs is always 150 degree or so. Is it possible that the parasitic capacitor of the current mirror (Cgd, Cdb ) induces another pole?

Yutao Liu

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2012, 4:59am

hello,
basically when you have fully differential input, current source don't impact much because tail node is perfect ac ground. When you have one input is sin and other one DC, tail node is no more ac ground hence tail current source impact a lot. Try to use cascode current source or single transistor with bigger length.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Annie

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2012, 7:27am

Raj,
I am designing CML Buffer in 65nm,1.1V MOS and for Current source I am using current mirror with larger L(~500n) to avoid short channel effects.However, the input swing to the buffer is not exactly small(~300mVpp),so the tail node is not exactly at ac ground at all times,rather it follows the higher input after switching takes place and so the vds of the current source changes and hence the tail current.Any hint to solve the problem?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2012, 8:50am

hello,
show me the input and out waveforms including transistor current. it may trigger some thing..

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.