The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oscillator reference voltage variation (Read 2213 times)
lhlbluesky_lhl

oscillator reference voltage variation
Sep 13th, 2012, 7:16am

in most internal-chip RC osc, comparator is always used, sometimes two comp(one for VH threshold, one for VL threshold), and sometomes only one comp (the other threshold is ground maybe). however, the variation of VH or VL will influence the accuracy of osc output frequency,that is, generating different clock period Tclk for different cycles, so, clock jitter appears. then, how to minimize the influence of reference voltage variation(VH or VL) on clock frequency? what methods should be used normally if we have no off-chip large cap for reference voltage stabilization?

thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: oscillator reference voltage variation
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2012, 8:14pm

What are you trying to do exactly?

RC oscillators on chip are very inaccurate due to process variance, and that will probably affect things a lot more than just the stability of the switching voltage

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
analog_wiz

Universe
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2012, 7:40pm

Instead of plainly assuming the effect of VH and VL , i would suggest you run the simulation across few corners and then conclude.Also why dont you try the simple cap charged with current source tripping against reference for generating the clock?I had lots of problems tripping against 2 voltage references when i did this a few years ago.

View Profile   IP Logged
analog_wiz

Universe
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2012, 9:58pm

If you can generate the reference current as well as voltage against which the comparator trips from the same Bandgap, you can make the output frequency virtually independent of the variations in vref,iref.Then the only inaccuracies are due to mismatch (current source,trip point of comp). Also you will  need atleast adequate trim range for process variationsm,depending on the accuracy you need to meet. Let me know more about the design and i can help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.