The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 12:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
feedback loop of PTAT (Read 3132 times)
Go,TB

feedback loop of PTAT
Oct 11th, 2012, 2:24pm

Hello, all

Please check the schematic in attachment. It’s one way to generate PTAT current. For example, Q2’s area is N times of that of Q1. The two Vbe difference will dump onto R to produce the PTAT current. Obviously, the quality of the PATA current has a lot to do with how well i1 can match i2.

It looks like that the negative feedback loop (Q1, Q0, M0, M2) can help to force vx equal to vy (i.e., i1 = i2). But I just wonder how the feedback loop works on this kind of structure. This feedback loop is quite different than the conventional structure (e.g., two explicit input terminals and one output terminals of an op-amp. output signal somehow sensed and returned to negative input terminal to be compared with positive input). In my feeling:

1.      It’s very hard to identify where the negative/positive inputs and outputs of the op-amp are in the ckt of this kind.

2.      Even if the current of Q1 and current of M1 can be regarded as positive and negative inputs to an op-amp, the vx=vy (or i1 = i2) can’t be guaranteed.

Please comment on this topic and feel free to correct me. Thanks a lot!

ptat.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Re:  feedback loop of PTAT
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2012, 2:09am

In this circuit, the error amplifier is a transistor Q0. The inverting input is the base, and the non-inverting input is emitter. The feedback sets voltage at Vx=Vdd-vbe(Q0). vbe(Q0) is defined as a dvbe(Q1-Q2)/R = Vt x ln(N)/R

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2012, 8:29am

Hello,
this has -ve and +ve feedback, they will make sure that Vx and Vy are set at rite common mode, vx=vy is wrong. Since this circuit is single ended it wont make two potential equal rather it makes two potential difference constant. coming to the fig,  -ve fb get you vy=vdd-vbe(Q1) and +ve fb get you vx=vdd-vbe(Q6) .

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Go,TB

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2012, 10:42am

raja.cedt wrote on Oct 12th, 2012, 8:29am:
Hello,
this has -ve and +ve feedback, they will make sure that Vx and Vy are set at rite common mode, vx=vy is wrong. Since this circuit is single ended it wont make two potential equal rather it makes two potential difference constant. coming to the fig,  -ve fb get you vy=vdd-vbe(Q1) and +ve fb get you vx=vdd-vbe(Q6) .

Thanks,
Raj.

Well. if Vx is not equal to Vy, the ckt can't work well at all. As I pointed already, the negative fdbk does make the ckt to have the same currents in the 2 branches.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.