The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 12:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
finding number of zeros in emiter follower (Read 3263 times)
aman gupta
Community Member

India
finding number of zeros in emiter follower
Oct 20th, 2012, 11:41pm

how can i find the number of zeros in a circuit ?
i am attaching a circuit of emitter follower in which i want to find the high frequency response. Instead of deriving the whole transfer function , i am using OPEN CIRCUIT time constant method to find the poles and midband gain formula by neglecting the effects of capacitors.
Now i know that the number of poles will be equal to 2 because there are 2 independent capacitors.
But i am not able to find the number of zeros. Neglect the load capacitor CL
PLEASE HELP

Untitled_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: finding number of zeros in emiter follower
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2012, 2:31am

hello,
refer the following pap

http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/Faculty/rodwell/Classes/mixed_signal/Hajimiri_MOTC.pdf
Basically to find the number of zero's you have to find how many infinite value capacitor's will give non zero output.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
summi
Community Member

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2012, 3:52pm

Dear raj,
recently i have started learning analog, i am so keen to learn how to calculate zero without doing math. Unfortunately i haven't understand that pap. Could you please tell me what is infinite value capacitor and i will be more happy if you can give me some simpler doc.

Br,
Summi.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2012, 4:22am

hello,
true. Finding zero's bit tough,unless you are very familiar  with the method what he gave in the pap. He confuse little bit by suing many variables and different terminology. Take a circuit and find total number of capacitors. Let us say 3 so there can be max three zero's. Now short all capacitors and check the output (interested variable it could be voltage or capacitor), if it non zero then 3 zero's. if not short two leave one cap open and check if you have non zero output and repeat the experiment with all other capacitors. Out of 3 trails if you get non zero out put at any time, that indicate 2 zero's. If not short one and open 2 capacitors......

believe me i don't prefer this method to find zero's, however the method open circuit time constant to find poles is much simpler.

Try to read the following.
http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/Faculty/rodwell/Classes/mixed_signal/Cochrun_Grabel_MOTC...

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2012, 2:37am

I think, for the shown example circuit finding number of zeros is a simple task:

Find the number of capacitors which cause a highpass characteristic.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
summi
Community Member

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2012, 11:55pm

dear buddypoor,

CC1 will create a zero due to it's high pass nature, but how abut rest of the capacitors, I have derived but want to know is there any directly method to find?

Br,
Summi

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.