The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Layout of Big MOSFETs in Virtuoso Layout XL (Read 3170 times)
Sx_cut

Dresden, Germany
Layout of Big MOSFETs in Virtuoso Layout XL
Nov 01st, 2012, 6:02am

Dear all,

I am working in weak inversion regime and in order to suppress the flicker noise I have to keep width of input differential PMOS at 800u. But the layout of this MOS is area inefficient. (FIG 1)

When I use the "multiplier" parameter in the properties of this MOS and value it at 16, it generates 16 layout instances with 50um width.

(FIG 2)

When i use the "finger" parameter with the same value it generates one instance with 15 gate sections surronded by a drain and source terminal.(FIG 3)

My questions are:

1) Which one of these parameters is better to use, multiplier or figers for the better sizing of MOS?

2)I am working in analog domain, when i use multiplier paramter it creates 15 MOS in parallel which would distort the required response of the input differential pair. I mean to say when i put 16 MOS of 50um each instead of 1 800um MOS, current gets divided, transconductance changes and it barely acts as an amplifier. Pluse, it gives me errors in LVS check! So i dont think we must use multiplier parameter in analog layouts.

3) When i use finger parameter, it again gives me error in LVS check. Is there anything I can do?  In fingers, 16  MOS are not held in paralle rather only the gate poly gets divided which could be shorted and not be much of problem in analog domain. But why an LVS error?

Thanks

FIG.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.