The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which is the better way to bias many identical circuit blocks? (Read 1669 times)
yong_rfic

Which is the better way to bias many identical circuit blocks?
Nov 05th, 2012, 2:11pm

Hi guys,
I have many identical building blocks, like differential pairs, which are relatively far away from each other (e.g., 100um on the layout) . How to bias all these tail transistors to ensure that a good matching of dc operation point is achieved?
I can think of two ways. First is to use a current mirror for each of the differential pair, and tie all the current mirrors' Vdd together. Another approach is to use a single current mirror and feed the gate voltage to all the tail transistors' gate.
There seems to be another way which feeds the current to instead of voltage to locally generate the bias voltage, but I dont know whether this approach is necessary here.
Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
urian

Re: Which is the better way to bias many identical circuit blocks?
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2012, 8:45am

It depends on the distance for which method to use. From Grey, he said that currents are routed globally and voltages locally. In other words, bias currents are routed between blocks and bias voltages within the blocks.

urian

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Which is the better way to bias many identical circuit blocks?
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2012, 1:11pm

distribute bias via current methods for two reasons -

Proximity matching and ground noise.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.