The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 26th, 2024, 8:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Step responce (Read 3415 times)
summi
Community Member

Step responce
Nov 16th, 2012, 8:04am

Dear forum,
I would like to know why only step reponce will be evaluated  to characterize a feedback system performance, why not ramp responce? I would be appriciate if any one exapin with some example, I haven't find any clue from text books in this regard.

Br,
Summi.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Step responce
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2012, 3:19pm

Hello,
Step change is fast compared to all, hence it has all frequency components, so step response fairly indicate's  wideband performance. Coming to ramp response it depends on the application, for example consider PLL which works on Phase variable, so to evaluate response to a step change in frequency ramp response is necessary because phase is integral of frequency, step change in frequency is ramp change in phase. refer basic control theory books get more examples.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2012, 2:13am

There is another important function in then time domain: The impulse response.
In context with your question you should know
* that the impulse response is directly related to the transfer function using the (inverse) LAPLACE transformation, and
* that the impulse response is the derivative (slope) of the step response  

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2012, 6:13am

Hello buddy poor,
then why no one check for impulse response, i know both step and impulse response are related.

Thanks,
Raj.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2012, 6:27am

I suppose, you know the shape of the test signal called "impulse". For practical reasons it is not a good idea to select such a test signal because you can do nothing else than to approximate it. However, simulation programs offer the possibility to check the impulse response.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2012, 6:35am

hello buddy poor,
yes i agree with you, impulse you can't generate but at the same you can't generate even a step. Always we give non-zero rise time whose derivative is pulse rather an impulse. So why no one use this method to  find impulse response of an opamp?

Thanks,
Raj.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2012, 6:50am

raja.cedt wrote on Nov 18th, 2012, 6:35am:
hello buddy poor,
yes i agree with you, impulse you can't generate but at the same you can't generate even a step. Always we give non-zero rise time whose derivative is pulse rather an impulse. So why no one use this method to  find impulse response of an opamp?
Thanks,
Raj.

Are you speaking about measurement or simulation? As I have mentioned - simulator programs offer the possibility of simulating the impulse response. But - why are you interested? What are the advantages?
On the other hand - the mentioned step response restrictions (finite rise time) are negligible.
If you want you can select pico-sec rise times.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.