The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Type of feedback in voltage regulator (Read 2249 times)
analog_wiz

Universe
Type of feedback in voltage regulator
Nov 26th, 2012, 2:42am

Hi, Whats the type of feedback in a standard pmos ldo. I mean, what is sampled at the output is it voltage or current. Also in a current mode bandgap(eg:banba)i believe we are sampling the output current and feeding back voltage(through the diode connected bandgap).I dont see any actual difference between the two (banba bandgap and a pmos ldo standard topo with error amp and output pmos stage). I wanted to know if there is any sure shot method of identifying the sampling.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Type of feedback in voltage regulator
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2012, 2:48am

i don't know abut BGR, but in LDO it is voltage-voltage feedback.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
analog_wiz

Universe
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2012, 2:58am

Raja, I know that it has to be voltage series( otherwise it would not be used in the first place,psrr would be bad). But when comparing it with a current mode bandgap topology which also looks similar iam not able to understand why it should be shunt sampling in ldo at output and series sampling in a bandgap output. I need some explanation on this.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2012, 3:26am

hello,
i don't about this bgr, if you are talking about fig 2 in this pap http://www.ing.unibs.it/~richelli/matpdsia/bg1.pdf, then it is voltage sampling only. The feedback has to give accurate voltage so i will sample voltage and give it to op amp which adjust pmos gate . Same in LDO also.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.