The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Calculation of minimum number of via: mean, rms or peak current to consider ? (Read 2888 times)
IvoryDesigner

Calculation of minimum number of via: mean, rms or peak current to consider ?
Dec 04th, 2012, 3:19pm

Hi,

I using a cmos 180nm technology. I have a digital buffer that have 20 mA peak, 0,6 mA average ans 3.8 mA rms.

So I have a general question about which current to use to check the minimum number of via, as the documentation of the design kit give only Jmax (maximum DC current density).

I know the saver way it to consider the maximum, but for density intergration I can't afford it unless it is a must!

Thank you to enlighten me about that point and to share your experience about routing constraint to deal with high AC current.

Regards,

KC

View Profile   IP Logged
XY-oriented

Re: Calculation of minimum number of via: mean, rms or peak current to consider ?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2012, 4:55am

one tech I use a lot specify the max current/via for rms values and add that the peak current should not exceed 10 times the rms level.

in your case, since the peak is too high compared to the average (DC ?) I would design for 20mA/10 =2mA

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: Calculation of minimum number of via: mean, rms or peak current to consider ?
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2012, 6:21am

Except some extreme cases only the DC current matters, since the effect of AC currents on electromigration is some order of magnitude weaker.
Search for "AC current electromigration" if you want more detail.

View Profile   IP Logged
IvoryDesigner

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2012, 2:10pm

Hi,

Thank you both for your helpful answers. I will look for "AC current electromigration" for more details.

Best regards !

KC

View Profile   IP Logged
IvoryDesigner

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2012, 3:23pm

Hi here is a good link I found that explain which current to consider depending of the current type (bidirectional or unidirectional):
http://www.masamb.com/EM-IITD.pdf

KC

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.