The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:45am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
group delay of a backplane channel (Read 7143 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
group delay of a backplane channel
Dec 10th, 2012, 9:57pm

Hi Guys,

I study the group delay of channel. The ac analysis gives the following the  amplitude loss and group delay. The group delay has sharp increase at ~500kHz and sharp decrease near 700MHz.

What causes the group delay looks like that shape? What is the effect on jitter/eye if the datarate is below 600Mbps and above 1Gbps respectively?

Any comments are appreciated.
Yawei

GroupDelay_18inch_backplane.png
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: group delay of a backplane channel
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2012, 12:31am

hello Yawei,
-ve group delay is little bit new to me, i know for some filters it will be fine, but i haven't seen any real channels with this behavior. Please double check once. Double check with s parameters.

Regarding your group delay impact on link performance, normally if ripple in the group delay is less than 10% of bit period then there is not much impact (according to sakinger book), in reality if you limit less than 6% it will be really good and you don't see any data dependent jitter. In your plot ripple is around 1ps, which is acceptable even at 5Gbps (here tb=200ps, so 10% ripple 20ps ).

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2013, 8:37pm

Delay in a backplane will not model nicely as a linear model, with a simple set of parameters.
To get something close to reality you need to use a distributed parameter model.

You care to show us the model that you are using?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
andyseu

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2013, 1:28am

hi raja

i have a question , you said " In your plot ripple is around 1ps". but,according to the plot, the ripple is about 1ns. why you said the ripple is 1ps. why have 10e-3 difference. i have saw some paper, all have 10e-3 difference. i can't understand , or can you offer me some document which i can get the answer from . thank you

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 11th, 2012, 12:31am:
hello Yawei,
-ve group delay is little bit new to me, i know for some filters it will be fine, but i haven't seen any real channels with this behavior. Please double check once. Double check with s parameters.

Regarding your group delay impact on link performance, normally if ripple in the group delay is less than 10% of bit period then there is not much impact (according to sakinger book), in reality if you limit less than 6% it will be really good and you don't see any data dependent jitter. In your plot ripple is around 1ps, which is acceptable even at 5Gbps (here tb=200ps, so 10% ripple 20ps ).

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2013, 6:03am

hello,
it's a typo, sorry for that. How cum some other documents are doing the same mistake? Please forward me those docs. Regarding -ve group delay, group delay will be the physical delay only when you when you have constant magnitude around that frequency spectrum.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
andyseu

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2013, 6:23pm

dear
"The group delay variation  for the 100cm V cable is 435 ps (which corresponds to 230 GHz when using the 10% rule) up to 50GHz hence there is no need for phase equalization at data rates below 50 GHz", why 435ps corresponts to 230GHz, i think 435ps shoud correspont to 0.23GHz(1/435ps*0.1). it have 10e-3 difference. the document is in the wabside"http://www.eecg.utoronto.ca/~sorinv/theses/andreea-balteanu_MASc_thesis.pdf", page 9 .
thank you

raja.cedt wrote on Sep 27th, 2013, 6:03am:
hello,
it's a typo, sorry for that. How cum some other documents are doing the same mistake? Please forward me those docs. Regarding -ve group delay, group delay will be the physical delay only when you when you have constant magnitude around that frequency spectrum.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.