The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to calibrate gm-c filter and get the measured frequency response (Read 1279 times)
lhlbluesky_lhl

how to calibrate gm-c filter and get the measured frequency response
Dec 27th, 2012, 6:25am

i have designed a gm-C bandpass filter used in ir receiver module. in my design, C is integrated on-chip (f0=gm/C), so C will change with process variation (may be 20% ~ 30% variation). i want to calibrate the variation of C with process through varing gm (bias current of gm), but how to calibrate this in detail?
besides, in simulation, i can get the frequency response(amplitude vs frequency) of my bandpass filter (ac analysis), but for real chip, how to measure the frequency response of bandpass filter? how to add the stimulus and how to get the frequency response curve?
thanks all.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Re: how to calibrate gm-c filter and get the measured frequency response
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2012, 6:38am

I just finished a gmc bandpass filter design with everything on chip. I used a PLL for auto tuning.

I ran a transient simulation until the PLL was locked. And then I ran AC with the same operating points.

View Profile   IP Logged
nrk1
Community Member

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2012, 6:34am

There are a lot of ways of tuning the time constants. One is to use a PLL as Dan Clement said. You can also use an integrator and adjust things based on the ramp. For measurements, you have to use buffers and calibrate out its response. See the paper below(Fig. 1c, Fig. 8b) and references [3,9].

Nagendra Krishnapura, Abhishek Agrawal, and Sameer Singh, "A High IIP3 Third Order Elliptic Filter with Current Efficient Feedforward Compensated Opamps," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II-Express Briefs, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 205-209, April 2011.

View Profile   IP Logged
lhlbluesky_lhl

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2012, 2:41am

for the PLL way, do you use a switched-capacitor structure for bpf, and tuning the clock frequency of switched-capacitor?

View Profile   IP Logged
lhlbluesky_lhl

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2012, 2:48am

besides, nrk1, can you give me a copy of the paper you said? i cannot get it from web, thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
nrk1
Community Member

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2012, 3:58am

lhlbluesky_lhl wrote on Dec 30th, 2012, 2:48am:
besides, nrk1, can you give me a copy of the paper you said? i cannot get it from web, thanks.

http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~nagendra/papers/tcas2-wlanfilter-pap.pdf

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2012, 12:03pm

I inherited the filter and PLL architecture from someone else so I did not have the luxury of doing it a better way...

Technically it's really more of a DLL...

I did a master slave tuning topology but I don't like the way it works. You can't tune out the transport delay of the filter and end up a systematic error between master and slave.

And since I used the Bram Nauta Gm cell, I had to tune using a regulator. The regulator makes the loop dynamics tricky.

But my simulations indicate a centered tolerance of two percent and that meets the needs for the system.

The filter is not sw cap as it has three programmable center frequencies up to 8MHz.

View Profile   IP Logged
lhlbluesky_lhl

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2012, 5:25pm

thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.