The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:38pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cross view checking vs. linked file (Read 3404 times)
BillH

San Diego
Cross view checking vs. linked file
Jan 21st, 2013, 12:18pm

In some situations there are views and files that are maintained in multiple places and I want to have Cadence automatically do a cross view check between multiple views.

Specifically, I have verilog RTL views of a module which are maintened in a digital workarea but there are also views of the same module (e.g. symbol, schematic) maintained in a Cadence (cdb) library.  I would like a way to have the cross view checker check for changes in the "digital" version of the cell to make sure that the schematic and symbol pins are still compliant with the RTL view.

I tried doing this by creating a functional view in Cadence which was basically just a link to another file.  I created a functional view from the library manager in Cadence, and then made the functional view just an include statement pointing to an RTL file, say

`include "../digital_workarea/rtl/my_rtl.v".

If I open and close the functional view from the library manager then a cross view check is automatically performed.  So, let's say I added a pin on the verilog view but not the symbol then a warning would pop up.  But if I go in and edit the file "my_rtl.v" directly with a text editor outside of Cadence, and add or remove pins, then go and open and check and save the symbol, no warning will show up.  

I'm not sure why this is and what would be necessary to make the cross-view checker automatically work in this instance.  Is this because the verilog gets compiled everytime the file is opened and closed with the library manager?  Or is something else happening?  I'm not sure I understand exactly what Cadence does when I close and save a text file from the Library Manager.

Is there a way to force the cross-view checker to make sure that the check is done properly, even if the cellviews have been edited outside of Cadence?  (e.g. a text edit of a text file)?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.