The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:02pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
base line wanderwall consideration (Read 8218 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
base line wanderwall consideration
Feb 10th, 2013, 8:08am

Hello everyone,
can any one tell me how baseline wander spec specified in different standard? i guess it should be like how much droop in the signal when consecutive number of 1 or 0 given, so will they specify CID or droop rate? or low cuf-off frequency of the link?

One basic Question, since data entering into TX after coding (8B/10B or some other one) so there wont be any consecutive long 1's so how does it matter for a circuit ?

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: base line wanderwall consideration
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2013, 4:47am

Hi Raj.

For the 8B/10B code, the longest run of '1' or '0' is 4 bit. So don't worry about baseline wander.

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:06am

Hello Yawei,
which standards are using 8B/10B and 64B/66B, i am in PCIE which standard, XAUI....like that ?

up to my knowledge 64B/66B has 64 long run of 0 or 1. So for this how they specify droop rate..Do you have good reference which explains coding considerations while designing driver?

Thanks,
Raj.

colossus_bade

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2013, 1:25am

The typical AC couple cap is 75~200nF in some specs(PCIE, USB3, SATA,...), and the high-pass corner formed by the AC-couple cap & termination resistor is relatively now, so I guess they wont specify the droop rate in the spec (it wont happen with this large ac-couple cap). But if you put your own ac couple capacitor in your silicon (typically much smaller than the spec value), you will worry about the droop of the signal, and the droop rate wont be specified in the spec (because it's caused by your specific design, not the spec)

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2013, 4:04am

hello colossus_bade,
Thanks for the reply, but i didn't understand why small AC coupling cap would require if there is already big cap on board, isn't it spoil the idea of having big cap on board??  can you explain little bit clear.
When you have you own cap inside will it have 50ohm or some higher imp???

Thanks,
Raj.

colossus_bade

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2013, 7:49pm

Hi Raja,

Please check the pic below (from a JSSC paper), these on-chip ac couple caps are placed after the 50 ohm termination. I guess they are using those caps to isolate the 50ohm termination voltage & internal VGA input common mode voltage.

input_ac_coup.png
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2013, 7:54am

May i know paper title?

Thanks,
Raj.

colossus_bade

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2013, 6:51pm

sure.

A 1.0625 ~ 14.025 Gb/s Multi-Media Transceiver With Full-Rate Source-Series-Terminated Transmit Driver and Floating-Tap Decision-Feedback Equalizer in 40 nm CMOS. JSSC 2011.12

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.