The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 17th, 2024, 11:08pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS varactor cap value v.s. frequency (Read 6452 times)
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
MOS varactor cap value v.s. frequency
Apr 05th, 2013, 8:59am

Hi,

I have saw people some paper mentioned that the capacitance value of a varactor (NMOS in accumulation mode) can varies with frequency, can anybody give an explanation why?

Thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: MOS varactor cap value v.s. frequency
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2013, 9:07am

Hello,
read some basic text book on Mosfet theory, basically carriers need sometime to reach channel hence for higher frequency of operation charge carrier will not reach the channel and lesser capacitance.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2013, 9:38am

Hi Raj

Thanks for your reply. Actually, that was what I thought. However, please refer to the following paper and in Fig 3 (the plot of measured AMOS varactor at different frequency), I found it's non-monotonic. that puzzled me.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2013, 9:55am

hello,
Please don't attach any publications here. I saw fig 3 it is monotonic, see some devices depends on their on their fabrication type there are several up and down's in the CV curve like Accumulated mosfet which is monotonic where as normal mosfet will have non-monodic due to region change.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2013, 10:16am

Hi Raj,

Thanks for remind for the publication.
When you looked at the figure 3b. Cap value is monotonic on bias voltage. However, for the same bias value, cap value is not monotonic on frequency, for example, when vbias=1v, it has C(55GHz)>C(5GHz)>C(1MHz)>C(20GHz).
If considering charge travel time, I would think that the higher the frequency, the smaller cap it will have, is that correct?

Thanks,

Norman

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.