The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
supply noise sensitivity: PSS+PAC or PSS+PXF (Read 2151 times)
sacbr

supply noise sensitivity: PSS+PAC or PSS+PXF
Aug 14th, 2013, 10:20am

Hello,

I am trying to find the effect of supply noise on the jitter of a delay line (a set of buffers in series). When I went through various documents on this website, I found the following options

1. PSS + PAC with the sampled option.

2. PSS + PXF with sampled option

In the both the cases sampled option is selected since only the jitter at zero crossing is important. http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1224609785

Let me start with explaining one setup. When I simulate PSS + sampled PAC, I set PAC magnitude = 1 in my power supply voltage source. Set the the maximumsideband = 0, and sweep the input source from 10khz to 10Ghz. The input clock to the delay line is 1GHz.

I am a little confused with the output spectrum that I see with the above simulation. Since it is sampled PAC, I was expecting the spectrum to repeat every 1GHz (fundamental tone), like in a PSS + sampled PNOISE analalysis. However, in the PSS + sampled PAC I see that the spectrum does not repeat. Can someone explain, what is wrong with my understanding?

Also, if wanted period jitter (instead of absolute jitter) in a sampled pnoise  simulation, I would multiply the output spectrum with (1-z-1) and divide by slope of the output waveform at the transition point and integrate from 0 - FCLK/2. How do I find the period jitter in a sampled PAC analysis?

All my questions basically come from the confusion that the output spectrum is not repetitive, like in a sampled system.

Thanks for help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: supply noise sensitivity: PSS+PAC or PSS+PXF
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2013, 6:34pm

It would be perfectly repetitive if it were sampled with an ideal samplefunction. In fact, it is sampled with something that has width. Roughly the width of a time step. Thus, what you should see is a repetitive spectrum that rolls off slowly at high frequencies.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: supply noise sensitivity: PSS+PAC or PSS+PXF
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2013, 4:02am

What Ken is referring to is the action of the sampling function by itself. However, you also have a transfer function in front of this sampler which in general is not periodic at all, so you should not be surprised if the resulting sampled pac or sampled pxf spectrum is not periodic as a function of the input frequency.

The reason for the sampled pnoise spectrum being periodic is that the contributions from all noise input frequencies are combined and that the result is shown as a function of the output frequency.

The result of the sampled pac or sampled pxf analysis is a transfer function. In order to get the jitter due to a supply noise input signal at a certain frequency, you simply divide the result by the slope of the output signal at the crossing point (see also http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1224609785/15).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.