The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pss/pnoise vs transient (Read 4566 times)
Frank99

pss/pnoise vs transient
Sep 24th, 2013, 11:39am

hi,

I am running simulations on a crystal oscaillator to verify the period jitter using a few different approach.

A. running pss and pnoise td gives Jc[1k] rms=50fs, peak2peak_BER=10e-3]=300fs
B. running long transient simulation and using the built-in period_jitter function gives 300fs
C. using the same transient data and plot eye diagram. use crosshair to measure the width of the rising(or falling) edge gives 30fs.

i initially thought result from A and B and C should all agree but now i have doubt.

question
1. result A and B matched, but I was told pss/pnoise uses device noise
where as transient (default) does not have device noise in the model.
is this true? if so how do i get the device noise into a transient simulation?

2. B and C uses the same data, and i expected the result to match. Any idea as to why?

3. is there any other way to verify the period jitter again pss/pnoise other then transient

4. (unrelated) in the noise summary, the strobe noise sim provides noise at a particular threshold.
however in the noise summary from a pnoise type=source, it only provide a single number. user guide says this noise summary is an average noise over the cycle. any idea on what the formula is?

thank you very much for your help.

Frank

View Profile   IP Logged
specialest

Shanghai
Re: pss/pnoise vs transient
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2014, 5:23pm

have the same question here. I simulate crystal oscillator and squaring buffer together. Lots of questions in different simulation approaches.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.