The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Measure noise of Switched-capacitor amplifier. (Read 6138 times)
Jacki

Measure noise of Switched-capacitor amplifier.
Nov 23rd, 2013, 10:22am

Hello,

Now I plan to measure the noise of a switched-capacitor amplifier with Agilent PSA series spectrum analyzer E4445A. Is it straightforward to measure the noise? I am thinking some examples here.
   Example 1: step 1. Turn on the signal generator, measure the gain
step 2. Turn off the signal generator, measure the noise at the output.
step 3. Calculate the input referred noise based on the output noise and gain.
   Is it correct?
   Example 2: step 1. Turn off the signal generator, measure the noise at the output.
step 2. Add a noise source, measure the noise at the output (set the gain of SC-amp to 0dB).  
step 3. Calculate the noise.

In spectre simulation, usually I use PNoise to simulate the noise of SC-circuits. Can I get the same results when I use spectrum analyzer to measure the chip compared with the PNoise simulation?

Any comments for the noise measure of SC-circuits are appreciated.
   Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Re: Measure noise of Switched-capacitor amplifier.
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2013, 9:06am

I wonder if the PNoise in the simulation can display the similar results as spectrum analyzer in the measurement.

Jacki.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2013, 4:20pm

Yes, of course. A spectrum analyzer measures the time-averaged noise. In SpectreRF PNoise analysis direct plot form, this is referred to as "Sources" (I don't know why it is called Sources, but it is). SpectreRF's effective noise bandwidth is 1Hz.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2013, 2:02am

Thank you very much, Ken. I think I need to use the bandwidth of 10Hz in the spectrum analyzer, but it is really slow, then use the equation to calculate the noise at 1Hz bandwidth.

Jacki.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2013, 1:51pm

Ken Kundert wrote on Nov 25th, 2013, 4:20pm:
I don't know why it is called Sources, but it is)

Ken,

I assume this is because it was originally either outputting the noise source information, or the cross-power densities (from "spectre -h pnoise"). I assume the parameter got hijacked to be the mode of operation (hence it now supports timedomain and pmjitter), and so the original meaning is a bit mixed up (I think this happened in something like IC445, which is when timedomain noise was introduced). Probably seemed like a good idea at the time  ;)

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.