The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VNA calibration (Read 9558 times)
mixed_signal

VNA calibration
Dec 13th, 2013, 7:25pm

Hi,
I am using a cal kit for my vna. After 1 port calibration,
1. marker is at centre when loaded
2. marker is at right end with little rotation when open
3. marker is at left end with little rotation when short

I can get rid of the rotation if i enter offset using delay 12 ps. Is it oK to calibrate this way.
Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Re: VNA calibration
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2013, 2:15am

Your 12ps difference can be ok. The connector standard you are using have a reference plane that corresponds to the left and right points in the Smith-chart. But usually the open and short standards in your calkit has NOT the open and short placed at that reference planes due to practical reasons. But the VNA knows where the open and short are positioned so it can recalculate all parameters to the correct reference plane during calibration.

A good way to check the calibration is to attach an open transmission line of 10-20mm length, for example an adapter. Then measure s11 over the widest possible band, maybe 10M-6GHz. Then you should get a flat response with only some loss. If you get ripple and positive s11, then your calibration is wrong.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2014, 6:38pm

Dear rfidea,
Thanks for the reply but its short of unclear why its not perfect. I saw a youtube video where the guy gets the marker perfectly at left, center and right when short, load, open.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2014, 1:52am

Quote:
I can get rid of the rotation if i enter offset using delay 12 ps.

did you remember to de-embed the "thru" connector? That's something I always missed out.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2014, 9:13pm

Hi aaron_do,

I did only 1 port calibration and hence did not use through connector.

I later tried doing full  2 port cal (sort, open, load, through) but still the problem exists. What do u mean by "demebed through"?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2014, 1:30am

Hi mixed_signal,

since you say its a 1-port cal, I guess you aren't experiencing the problem I was referring to. I just re-read your post and see that you mentioned it was a 1-port cal...

The first several times I did my VNA cal, I would do a short, open, and load on each port, and then I would use the thru connector (some people spell it this way...not sure why) for the last step in the cal since both ports had a male connector at the end. I originally thought that the thru connector was specific to the cal kit, and that its data was stored in the VNA. Turns out I was wrong, and you need to calibrate out (de-embed might have been the wrong word) the thru connector as a final step. If you don't, as I remember, you will get some ripple in the frequency response.

Seems like rfidea was saying that your cal kit isn't perfect, but that the VNA knows the imperfection. I no longer have access to the VNA I was using, but I remember I could get a very good calibration as at the time we were looking at loss on the order of just points of a dB. Perhaps your VNA itself needs to be calibrated, or the cal kit is no longer valid (you have to be careful with those cal kits).

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2014, 4:36pm

Hi aaron_do,
Thank you for the reply.

I have a basic doubt: the calkit was already installed by somebody. Sometimes vna will have calkit installed by default or you have to install it. If I want to install a new kit, what are the data about the kit that has to be entered? Electrically what those relate to?

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2014, 9:46pm

I thinks you are on the right track. If you are using Agilent you should be able in the VNA tog choose the calkit modell, just look at the box. Otherwise you ned till get hold of the calkit parameters. They where delivered with the calkit. Then you can enter them as custom calkit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.